  1) Re: Voltmeter
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: Curtis 1231C squealing solution
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: Precharge Resistor Primer
        by Eric Poulsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: Heatsinking a Curtis - necessary for golf cart versions?
        by "Darin - at - metrompg.com" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: Motor mods Peter Gabrielsson
        by Jim Husted <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) RE: 300V EV Questions
        by "Rick Todd" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) RE: Kilovac EV-200 as safety disconnect?
        by Cor van de Water <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: Heatsinking a Curtis - necessary for golf cart versions?
        by "damon henry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: Need advice on Lee Hart's batt-bridge circuit
        by Nick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: Motor mods Peter Gabrielsson
        by "Peter Gabrielsson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) SCCA Problems with Electrics
        by David Dymaxion <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: Motor mods Peter Gabrielsson
        by "Peter Gabrielsson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) RE: How to get Solectria AC55 motor to fit transmission, is it possible?
        by "Dale Ulan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) DTE readout (was Electric Ford Ranger on E-bay)
        by Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: ZIF Recommendation
        by Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: Kilovac EV-200 as safety disconnect?
        by Mark Brueggemann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: Processor Lockup Failsafe
        by Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: Economics of balancing amps
        by Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: Conductive Grease, Was: Safety Disconnect
        by "Bruce" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Re: Regenerative suspension, more stuff
        by "Bob Rice" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Hybrid Car Crash - Tacoma WA - 3/6/07
        by Steven Lough <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) Re: Conductive Grease, Was: Safety Disconnect
        by <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
Bruce wrote:
I don't understand what double-isolated wiring means.

"Double insulation" is the safety agency approval's name for systems that have two independent insulating systems to prevent a shock hazard.

Normal wiring is single insulated; there is just one layer of insulation between you and the conductor. It is only allowed for low voltages (under 30 volts), where it is impossible for people to touch it (inside electrical boxes or conduit), or where lobbyists have paid good money to get it grandfathered in (we've always used single-insulated "zip" cords for lamps, and we ain't a gonna change!).

A double-insulated wire has *two* layers of insulation, made of different materials, each of which is adequate all by itself to insulate the voltage in question. This is what you see for all house wiring (romex), and on all newer appliances invented after the antique rules for lamps etc. got grandfathered in (computers, etc).

As applied to a device (meter, electric drill, etc.) double-insulated means there are at least two independent layers of insulation, each able to withstand the full voltage, between all live parts and the operator.

With regard to a dashboard-mounted voltmeter: Double insulated means the wires running to it have two layers of insulation (for example, the wire itself, and an insulating sleeve over the wires). The meter itself probably has a plastic or glass case; that counts as one layer of insulation (if it got broken or removed, you could touch the wires inside). So, you'd mount it behind a clear glass or plastic panel (the second layer of insulation).

Ian Page-Echols wrote:
From all I've read, it doesn't sound like something that I would really care about. How is this dealt with differently on the Zillas or other controllers so that they apparently don't have this same type of problem?

They use stronger, faster gate drive logic that can turn the MOSFETs on/off quicker. So, they can produce a shorter on-time pulse, and get down to a 1% (or less) duty cycle.

--- Begin Message --- There would be 144 watts for an instant. As the caps charge, the voltage difference (and current) both drop off, as does the power dissipated.

In Lee's example (144V, 144Ohms, 7040uF), the energy (not power) stored by charging would be 73J. Power (Watts) is Energy (Joules) per second. In the two-second example, the _average_ power of those two seconds would be about 36W.

A 50W resistor could easily handle the power spike, and can be had for under $10.

Bruce wrote:
How do you calculate the power handling rating of the precharge resistor?
>From Lee's example (1 Amp, 144 Volts), would the resistor then need to be
rated for 144 watts?  But its only being used for a short time.

        Bruce

Michaela Merz wrote:
Hmm ... and what would be the value of that resisitor?

Lee Hart wrote:
It's not at all critical. Curtis recommends 250 to 750 ohms, depending on
the controller. The switch that you have in series with it (to turn on the
precharge) sets the minimum resistance; if it is rated for (say) 1 amp, and
your pack is 144v, then the resistor can be as small as R = 144v/1amp = 144
ohms.

On the Curtis heat sink issue...

I'm pretty sure when our 275A 36V Curtis originally lived in a golf cart it didn't have a heat sink.

So - is it advisable (or are there any advantages) to adding a sink in its ForkenSwift/Joe Sixpack Metro application?

I suppose it may be run more often at its upper limit in the Geo than it was in the Club Car. However, the range of the car will be short - maybe 15-20 km, so it won't be run for long periods.

Darin

Hey Peter

Not a lot of time this morning but I wanted to get
with you real quick.

In wanting to get back to you on the spring issue I
went to your blog and had a peek.

I noticed you painted the inside of your housing and
possibly the back side of the pole shoes.

Sorry to be a bummer here but it's important to keep
those areas clean and bare metal.  You want a direct
metal to metal contact there (betwen the shoe and the
housing) as it's part of the magnetics of the motor.

Just another example of where I can help save you guys
effort, if I'm informed, LMAO.

As to the spring tension (not something I actually
think about being I just do it.)(I also try to look at
where they are set (before I remove them)  There are 4
and 5 turn GE springs.  Usually it's about a 1/2 turn
so maybe you can take me a pic with the springs in
both locations so I can have a look.  Just a little
different doing stuff via internet and hands on.

It does appear they are in the correct possition from
the ring pic you posted but a pic of them un-latched
and just set onto the spring arm will help me help you
there.

Like I said I saw the painted housing inside and
wanted to say ooops!

Sorry I'm such a downer 8^P

Got to run I'll have a deeper look at your blog
tonight.

Cya
Jim usted

Ralph,
I should have been more specific about what was correct about putting
breakers together in series.  In order for this to work properly the
breakers would need a tie bar on the handles so they trip together.  Most
often this is not needed because instead of using separate breakers a 2 Pole
or 3 Pole breaker is used and in that case the handles are already tied
together.  So to answer your question, yes there is a slight delay in the
break but only long enough until the one breaker trips out the other.  If
the breaker handles are not set to trip together than the setup will not
work and it is likely one of the breakers would be damaged.  A common
configuration for Siemens using their ED line is at the attached Link Page 4
of the document or page 3 of the PDF.
http://www.sea.siemens.com/circuit/product/CircuitBreakers/Submittal%20Sheet
s%20ED%20Frame.pdf

Hope this clears everything up.
-Rick

From: "Darin - at - metrompg.com" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
Subject: Re: Heatsinking a Curtis - necessary for golf cart versions?
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2007 09:37:07 -0500

On the Curtis heat sink issue...

I'm pretty sure when our 275A 36V Curtis originally lived in a golf cart it didn't have a heat sink.

So - is it advisable (or are there any advantages) to adding a sink in its ForkenSwift/Joe Sixpack Metro application?

I suppose it may be run more often at its upper limit in the Geo than it was in the Club Car. However, the range of the car will be short - maybe 15-20 km, so it won't be run for long periods.

Darin

Win a Zune™—make MSN® your homepage for your chance to win! http://homepage.msn.com/zune?icid=hmetagline
Hi Cor,
I noticed that Lee recommended the bigger caps, but when I tried a 1uF, it worked pretty well anyway. The lights still come on faintly when I'm driving (Curtis 1221C controller), but it is so little that I can only really see it if it is completely dark out. Success!

Thanks for the help!

Nick

Cor van de Water wrote:
Hi Nick,

I re-checked my calculations and I made a mistake in multiply iso divide by
the 0.1V that I tried to achieve.
Lee's recommendation of 10 to 100uF would be better to kill everything of 1
kHz and higher frequency, but it appears that the noise you are combatting
is much higher in frequency, a DC/DC can easily run at 100 kHz.

Anyway, if you want to be on the safe side you may try increasing value to
at least 10 uF which should hardly make a difference in size or price and
keep the red LEDs probably from glowing.

For the calculation I used the equation for charge:
It = VC (current x time = voltage x capacitance)
I = 10 mA (approx)
t = 1 ms (actually shorter, but to make sure everything near 1kHz and above
is killed)
V = 0.1V (my assumption, it must be much smaller than the LED voltage)
so, C = 0.01A x 0.001s x 1/0.1V = 0.0001F = 100uF
(I forgot to divide by voltage, used multiply instead)
Now 100uF is a safe value, probably 10uF is sufficient (will cut off at 3
kHz)
Success,

From: Bill Dennis
Aren't the + and - terminals of ThunderSky cells aluminum and copper?

I have some Thunderski LP90 cells, and they have nickel plated hardware. I
would strongly doubt they would use aluminum or copper on other models.
--
Lee Hart

--- Lawrence Rhodes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> After welding an ev-200 in a 2700 pound car @ 144vdc I won't use
> one again. However I might mix one with an Albright.

I've had two Czonka's fail open (solenoid OK, but no workie).
After the 2nd one, I replaced the pair with EV200's.  Got about
3 years on them now, so far so good, but no opportunities to test
for high current break.  Beginning to wonder if the best solution
isn't the monster fuseholder, Anderson connector or knife switch
solutions being discussed.

Mark "EV Basher" Brueggemann
Albuquerque, NM
S-10 EV

A watchdog is simplest solution but not entirely foolproof.

There are many CPU supervisor chips meant to do just that.
Since they are separate ICs they are unaffected by any troubles
with CPU.

Real reliable intelligent often have 2 (or more) CPUs cross checking
on each other. With cost of a CPU approaching cost of normal logic
chip it is trivial solution, just SMOP.

Victor

Bill Dennis wrote:
If you're using a microprocessor to control charging, what's a good way to have the system fail to a safe state, should the processor freeze up--for example, turn off the charger. One possibility that came to mind was some type of circuit or chip that expects its input to be flip-flopped every few seconds, and if it isn't, opens a relay. Is there a simple circuit or chip that already does this? Or is there a better way?

Thanks.

I wanted to add little correction here:

Lee Hart wrote:

Now suppose you have a balancer that can move 5 amps for 1 hour. At the start of your drive, it can be pulling 5 amps from the best battery and using it to charge the worst one. At the end of your 1-hour commute, both batteries are at the same depth of discharge, so you aren't hammering the weak link to an early demise. Your range has been extended 10% because you are no longer limited by the weakest link.

Yes, Basically you make such system to fix your deficient battery.
It sure works but the purpose of BMS is not to fix battery which is
bad. By "bad" i mean too different from others. 10% is acceptable
by manufacturer's specs since they don't care - they don't intend batteries to be so well matched to be used in series.
This doesn't mean they have to be accepted by *you*.

Obtaining matching set may be practical [one time] hassle, but
this doesn't change the fact above - if you put effort to get
well matched pack you may not need $1000 balancer either.
'Course, few bother.

That's good! The tradeoff is economic. You have to look at what the balancing system costs, and how much it adds to your range and life. I can't say how it will work out for everyone, but in my own case, I figure my balancer cost $1000, but doubled the life of a $1500 pack; so I'm money ahead.

No, it didn't double life of the pack - the rest of the pack
without weakest battery would still get double life if
you only replace this *one* $50 battery. But you are
*replacing* it with $1000 "fix" system.

Sure, advantage is you don't need to worry what batteries
you're buying are 1% matched, 5% or 10% - they will all work
because of aggressiveness of the balancer.

Thing is, 1% matched batteries would cost you the same
each (+ some effort selecting them) as only 10% matched.
But you can save your $1000 by making that effort.
I'm not debating if it worth it - for some might, for
others - doesn't.

We're not discussing used/known mismatched/different type/age
batteries you attempt to fix by substituting their capabilities
with balancers. We're talking about normal case - people buy
one set of batteries from one source (preferably one batch)
at one time. *Then* aggressive balancer never has chance to
exercise its full power and paying for it would likely be a waste.

As always, there are exceptions to this (as well as bunch of
opposite opinions). Ultimately "right" solution depends on
the wallet of the individual and how much he values his time,
so there is really no "right" or "wrong" approach.

Both of these products, OxGard and Kopr-Shield sound like good conductive
grease.  I understand that they would have to be used sparingly in order to
avoid unwanted short circuits.

Is there any reason that you wouldn't want to use OxGard or Kopr-Shield on
all of your terminals and connections rather than Vasoline or Noalox?

        Bruce

John Wrote:

Here is a product that I have used in the past as a "super" conductor on
wire splices.

Made by Thomas & Betts

"Kopr-ShieldT Compound-The copper colloidal surface treatment that protects,
lubricates and enhances conductivity between all electrical connections."

You need to be very careful with it as it tracks very easily and the
multimeter leads can be on either side of the the "glob" and still read a
low resistance.