  1) Re: Technical design/component/schematic info?
        by Bob Bath <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) PS Re: Technical design/component/schematic info?
        by Bob Bath <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) EV space suit (was BugE again)
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: EV space suit (was BugE again)
        by "Peter Gabrielsson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: Technical design/component/schematic info?
        by Doug Weathers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: distributed charging and equalizing
        by "Al" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: Lee's BMS Taking Orders now.
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  8) FW: BugE again
        by "bortel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: metro update
        by mike golub <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Minute Sea Shells Are the Foundation for New Gas Detecting Devices,
 Baterry Electrodes, Optic Devices, Chemical Purifiers...
        by Geopilot <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: 640hp Mini (BMW) converted by PML and partners .. UK
        by Bill Dube <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Another GTE in the ev album
        by Bill & Nancy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) smart4two .. electrification    was     Re: 640hp Mini (BMW) converted by
PML and partners .. UK
        by "peekay" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) RE: Motor Mania Calendar (mostly OT,
 except for the Electric Motor part)
        by Mike Willmon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Question about optimal gear ratio and where to get gearboxes
        by Tony Hwang <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) State by State EV Incentives and Regulations?
        by Mike Chancey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: 640hp Mini (BMW) converted by PML and partners .. UK
        by david woolard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: 640hp Mini (BMW) converted by PML and partners .. UK
        by "Kaido Kert" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: Technical design/component/schematic info?
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 20) brakes .. electrical ? more reliable than hydraulic (drum or disc type)
        by "peekay" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Re: State by State EV Incentives and Regulations?
Welcome to the list, Skip!
    My experience came from Mike Brown's "Convert It",
so I still push it.   I'm a biology major, not an EE,
and some of the guys on the list have extensive auto
shop experience, but are not EEs either, so this is
not a barrier.  Brown's book is just for us, as it
describes each component. Best $25 I ever spent on
EV-related stuff.
   A 4-stroke Yamaha engine will get you from point A
to B just fine.  But I like Honda Civic 16-valve
engines for efficiency and lower emissions.
   Same with AC, as far as I'm concerned.  AC motors
need higher voltages to be at their best performance.
That means batteries with high voltages, which mean
AGM batteries, in general.  AGMs are more expensive,
and need careful charge regulation, or they will be
short-lived.
   There are other AC controllers, but they don't
include the charger, as AC's do.  I'm sure there are
other issues as well, but I'll leave those for
others...
    Best to you.

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Electric_vehicle_conversion

> but have yet to look it over (that's my next task).
> Asking Google for
> similar pages just leads me to mediawiki.org and
> similar sites.  I haven't
> stumbled on the proper incanation to feed Google
> that will get me suitable
> content from this list's archives either, though I'm
> sure there must be some
> useful stuff hidden away.  Maybe there are some
> suitable del.icio.us tags I
> can use?
>
> I don't know yet whether or not I will tackle such a
> project, but I do want
> to investigate what's involved, where the technology
> stands today, etc.  Any
> pointers cheerfully appreciated, so fire away.
>
> Thanks,
>
> --
> Skip Montanaro - [EMAIL PROTECTED] -
> http://www.webfast.com/~skip/
> "The hippies and the hipsters did some great stuff
> in the sixties,
> but the geeks pulled their weight too." -- Billy
> Bragg

Converting a gen. 5 Honda Civic?  My $20 video/DVD
has my '92 sedan, as well as a del Sol and hatch too!
Learn more at:
www.budget.net/~bbath/CivicWithACord.html
                          ____
                     __/__|__\ __
  =D-------/    -  -         \
                     'O'-----'O'-'
Would you still drive your car if the tailpipe came out of the steering wheel?
Are you saving any gas for your kids?

The fish are biting.

Brown's book has the schematics.  I thought I'd tell
you that my electrical knowledge comes from building
electronic special effects for my guitar equipment,
and also Radio Shack's 150-in-1 electronics kit.
peace,

--- [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Okay, I've been on this list a couple weeks and have
> asked a couple stupid
> questions.  Now for the taco grande...
>
> It would seem most of you have a lot of experience
> under your collective
> belts, while I'm coming at this with no EV-specific
> experience and no EE
> degree.  Where can I find general information on the
> components which make
> up an EV, how they are wired together, examples of
> various parts (motors,
> batteries, controllers, what controllers go with
> what motors, why is AC
> Propulsion's stuff so expensive, etc)?  I can infer
> a bit from places like
> Electro Automotive or evparts.com, but not a lot.
> EVWorld seems to be
> geared toward a much higher level presentation (lots
> of manufacturers'
> links, promotion/publicity and nontechnical overview
> articles, not a lot of
> actual technical content).  Ditto for the Plug In
> America.
>
> I just stumbled on this wiki book:

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Electric_vehicle_conversion

> but have yet to look it over (that's my next task).
> Asking Google for
> similar pages just leads me to mediawiki.org and
> similar sites.  I haven't
> stumbled on the proper incanation to feed Google
> that will get me suitable
> content from this list's archives either, though I'm
> sure there must be some
> useful stuff hidden away.  Maybe there are some
> suitable del.icio.us tags I
> can use?
>
> I don't know yet whether or not I will tackle such a
> project, but I do want
> to investigate what's involved, where the technology
> stands today, etc.  Any
> pointers cheerfully appreciated, so fire away.
>
> Thanks,
>
> --
> Skip Montanaro - [EMAIL PROTECTED] -
> http://www.webfast.com/~skip/
> "The hippies and the hipsters did some great stuff
> in the sixties,
> but the geeks pulled their weight too." -- Billy
> Bragg

Converting a gen. 5 Honda Civic?  My $20 video/DVD
has my '92 sedan, as well as a del Sol and hatch too!
Learn more at:
www.budget.net/~bbath/CivicWithACord.html
                          ____
                     __/__|__\ __
  =D-------/    -  -         \
                     'O'-----'O'-'
Would you still drive your car if the tailpipe came out of the steering wheel?
Are you saving any gas for your kids?

> With one key distinction: weather protection - sort of.

Here's a stupid question - sort of. :-)

Somewhere I saw a photo of one of the NASA astronauts all suited up in his
space suit, complete with the portable battery operated air conditioner
'suitcase' that they carry. He was riding a motorcycle. :-)

Since then, I've always wondered why someone hasn't built a terrestrial version
of a space suit that provides environmental protection, air conditioning,
communications, and even a drink and a light snack :-)

Yes, they are heavy and it takes power to run them. But, if you're riding a
motorcycle, you're sitting down and right on the power source. Same is true for
driving a car -- instead of air-conditioning the whole car, just air condition
the driver.

Think of it as a deluxe version of a nomex "cold suit" that race car drivers
use, with little tubes circulating water from an ice chest.

Couldn't this get the power consumption needed to make the driver comfortable a
lot lower?
--
Lee Hart

Not to mention the built in urin receptacle.

Uhm, moving on... maybe putting tubes with circulating coolant in the
seatbelt would be enough to satisfy your everyday cooling needs.

www.electric-lemon.com

On Mar 13, 2007, at 7:16 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

 Where can I find general information on the components which make
up an EV, how they are wired together, examples of various parts (motors,
batteries, controllers, what controllers go with what motors,

I recommend you start with these two books:

Convert It! by Mike Brown and Shari Prange

<http://www.amazon.com/Convert-Michael-Brown/dp/1879857944/>

Convert Your Own Electric Vehicle, by Bob Brant

<http://www.amazon.com/Build-Your-Own-Electric-Vehicle/dp/0830642315/>

Also available at many of the EV parts sellers such as <http://www.evparts.com>.

The first is good concrete how-to information on how to convert an ICEV to an EV. The second has a lot of theory and math to help you figure out how to design the vehicle you want. Both books are dated, but still mostly valid. I would love to see an update to these books that includes new developments like the Zilla controllers, the PFC chargers, the more affordable AC systems from Electro Auto and Metric Mind, etc.

Check your local library for these books, or any others that are in the Electric Vehicles subject.

You can also get some free consulting from Bob Batson at EV America.

<http://www.ev-america.com/techassist.html>

Also, read as many online EV conversion journals as you can find, and browse the EV Album.

Good luck,

Doug

Thanks for the comments guys.

The Batmods would be the easiest and best way to go, but 20 times about $170 equals $3400! (only $1700 with 12 volt batteries)
You can get active PFC PC supplies for $30 to $40.
Then a bit of surgery and a PIC can put each "charger" on a network (can, usb, etc)
Any PIC programmers out there? ;)
The "main" computer ( basic stamp?) would then monitor and control the chargers for both charging off AC mains (any voltage from 100-240)
or real time equalizing using the full DC pack volts (100 to 240)
I'm going to have a look at some PC supplies and see how much trouble it would be to make them "work" in this manner.

I have considered this effort after reading the many posts regarding battery equalization and the apparent substantial improvements in overall battery life and efficiency. (And, as any good EV'er knows - love thy batteries) Is this a futile effort? (I'm sure there have been plenty of them discussed here) Should I spend my time/money elsewhere?

Thanks, Al

I have exchanged a few emails with Lee on how to proceed.

Lee recommended we set a date of 30 days.

Lets make it April 15.

Orders will be recognized with a deposit of 50 percent of an estimated
price. Checks will be held until just before production is started.  When parts
are
done balance would be due before shipment.

Prices will be just what they cost to build and ship to you. If someone
decides not to follow though with an order? The complete unpaid order would
have
to be sold to someone else before refunding any money.

Don Blazer

In a message dated 3/13/2007 2:26:00 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> From: brian baumel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Date:  2007/03/12 Mon AM 11:23:06 EST
> To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
>  Subject: Lee's BMS?
>
> hello everyone,
> is there an order  in the process for some of Lee
> Hart's BMS boards??
I'm hoping that  the group that is getting this order will or can work
together to get things  going without bothering Lee to much , if at all . It is
easy
for people like  Lee , Rich and Ot to get way overloaded with questions and
then never get  anything done .. So for there sake we need to help each other
as a group as  much as possible and only bother them when we can't as a group
figure out  somthing ..

if so I'd be interested! I'll need
> two relay  boards (string of 10+1)and naturally the
> control board. who do I make  the check out to and for
> how much?
ah and so it begines ,,, I  didn't keep up with the last build ,, it went off
list but this time I'm in  for the ride ,

>I may need a little help in the programming,
Me  to , I've never done any

> but I've done some PIC programming  before...
hope we can work together , and not wear Lee out ... we need him  for other
stuff .

Lee last I heard Mr C was going to get 2  .

Steve Clunn  I like the phone also so you can call  me 772 971 0533

> Brian B.
> 81' Bradley  GTII
>
> --- Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  wrote:
>
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > >  HI Lee I have sombody interested (as I am) in
> > putting together  one
> > > of your bms's. I know you needed 10 orders to  pay
> > for the boards.
> > > I could get 5 controller  boards if this would help
> > make an order.
> >
>  > Yes, that would certainly push us "over the hump"! I
> > still  have your
> > deposit check for one, but would probably replace  it
> > before actually
> > ordering (it's probably not good  any more).
> >
> > The Relay boards are done and ready to  order. The
> > Control board could be
> > done if I quit  tweaking it (time to shoot the
> > engineer).
> >
>  > So, let me know if this is a serious order for 5,
> > and I'll  proceed
> > accordingly.
> > --
> > Ring the  bells that still can ring
> > Forget the perfect offering
>  > There is a crack in everything
> > That's how the light gets  in    --    Leonard Cohen
> > --
> > Lee  A. Hart, 814 8th Ave N, Sartell MN 56377,
> >  leeahart_at_earthlink.net

http://www.aol.com.

I went down and spent a few hours with Mark Murphy about a week ago looking
at and talking about the BugE prototype. I have to say he has really done a
nice job with this design. The fit and finish is almost perfect and what
small problems the prototype still has will be fixed by the time it is
produced.

Although it is only about half the weight of his earlier design the Gizmo,
it appears to be a much safer design. The reduced weight also makes it a
much more peppy and efficient vehicle.

I had some concern about the open back and the Oregon rain, but Mark has the
aerodynamics worked out keep this from being a problem. The wind and rain
simply passes by the shell and doesn't blow onto the driver.

The other nice thing about this design is it's elegant simplicity. Mark
thinks that someone with moderate skills could put this kit together less
than 40 hours. After looking at it in depth, I think anyone that has worked
at all with EVs could do it in much less time.

Also it is an extremely flexible design. If you want to use a bigger motor
or more voltage for more speed, it can be done. If you want to add a second
seat for a child or a motorcycle double seat, you can do that. If you want
to make it an HPV hybrid, that's also possible.

The local alternative newspaper in Eugene just did a great front page
article on the BugE that you can read at: www.eugeneweekly.com .

This is IMHO a great all weather motorcycle at an incredible price and I
want to be one of the first to get one.

Later,
Dan