  1) Re: EZGO motor
        by Jim Husted <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: shunt motor controller?
        by Jeff Major <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) White at PIR on Sunday, not Saturday Night
        by John Wayland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: EZGO motor
        by "Martin Klingensmith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: Otmar Ebenhoech on Peak Momment TV
        by "Paul G." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: This would make a great movie.
        by "David Roden" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Motor Ident problem
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  8) Principle of ***variable*** electric braking via the drive motor?
        by Geopilot <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: This would make a great movie.
        by "Michaela Merz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: Otmar Ebenhoech on Peak Momment TV
        by "FRED JEANETTE MERTENS" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Otmar's Interview
        by Jeff Shanab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) PLEASE KILL THREAD Re: This would make a great movie.
        by "David Roden" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: Otmar's Interview
        by Rod Hower <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) RE: Otmar's Interview
        by Mike Willmon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) RE: Sequential battery charging
        by Steve Powers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: EZGO motor
        by James Massey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) First interview
        by <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) motor pics - re: adding end cap and bearing
        by Carl Clifford <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) RE: First interview
        by Mike Willmon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Re: AC Drives on Ebay
        by "David" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
Hey Martin

First off I wasn't able to get to the pics, so maybe
you can take a look at that.

I do a lot of the EZ-GO cart motors so I believe I
know which one you've got, probably the 73124G01 or 2.

As a golfcart motor it never has an issue with wearing
that shaft spline out I've never had to replace them
and so admit that I've not looked into how they're
attached.  You are right in that they are probably
just a pressed on end piece.

It's kind of funny a bunch of these cart motors shaft
threads have popped up being I did just got one motor
that had a bad spline last week, looked like someone
tried to weld something, to be honest I couldn't tell
what actually happened or what the guy was doing on
it, lmao.  I just popped a shaft from a dead armature
and simply replaced the whole shaft.

Being there has been so much intrest in this I'll try
and find a minute to see how hard they are to remove
(being I have this mutilated shaft I can test on), and
what size and length of snub shaft remaines.

I've done a number of shaft extentions and I've seen a
lot of "attemted" extentions.  The MBD motor I did for
my mini chopper is an extention (it came with a 1/4"
female slot) and it didn't come out to bad.  It's one
thing to press on a small spline that is not much
longer than the parent shaft, it's much tougher to
extend a longer shaft and keep it true.

With your motor bought and with not a lot of options
and figuering you're hell bent on trying this 8^P
I'd like to offer a little advise to save you a James
Massey type beating from both the motor and me 8^P

Here are the cons of this armature and shaft.  First
the shaft doesn't stick out past the armature windings
so you can't drill and pin it like you'd find in a
Prestolite.  For the same reason you can't weld it
very easily either (watch burning the windings if you
try this).  This leaves you with a press fit extention
as your only viable option, IMO.

Anyway what I'd suggest to you would be to press on an
unmachined shaft blank and then machine it true vs.
machining something out and expecting it to press on
true.  Once I've pressed on my blank I'd use a
steadyrest and put in the center hole and machine the
shaft from there.

I'm seriously doubting that you can remove that spline
end with pullers and a torch (again watch burning the
windings if you don't believe me and must try).
Pressing it off shouldn't be to hard but it's the
grabbing it from inside the windings that's the issue.

Hope this helps

--- Martin Klingensmith
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I finally got my EZ-GO 6" Advanced DC series motor
> this week. It took a
> month for me to get it after ordering on eBay. Long
> sad story (from the
> seller)
>
> I knew what I was getting into when I bought this
> motor so I'm not going to
> say "oh I didn't know it would be hard to get it
> running", but what I'm
> looking for is a bit of advice from someone who
> knows a bit more about these
> motors. If you look at the pictures:
> <http://walfstream/~martin/motor3.JPG>
> <http://walfstream/~martin/motor2.JPG>
> <http://walfstream/~martin/motor1.JPG>
>
> You will notice that the piece with the inside
> spline looks like it's not
> part of the main shaft. In fact it really couldn't
> be based on the cold-saw
> cuts on the shaft (at the bottom of the spline)
> It also looks like it was heated up when pressed
> onto the shaft (see
> motor3.JPG)
> My question to the more mechanically inclined people
> is: How do you think
> this is attached to the shaft of the motor?
> Do you think I can pull it off or should I leave it
> on there?
>
> The way I see it, I have two options for
> mechanically connecting to the
> motor:
> Find something with a 19 tooth spline that measures
> about 0.834 diameter
> Turn a (round) stub shaft that fits into the spline
> hole and tig weld it
> (making it go out of round?)
>
> Here are a few measurements I made:
> Inside case diameter: 5.85"
> Hole-hole (center-center) distance: 4.375"
> Case thickness: 0.435"
> Depth from edge of case to field windings: 0.395"
> Outside diameter of shaft: 1.35"
> Length of shaft from end to rotor laminations:
> 1.785"
> Length of spline cut: 0.900"
> --
> Martin Klingensmith

Finding fabulous fares is fun.
bargains.

Hi Jim,

  Was busy for a few days.  And I don't know Marko, Brian, or Fiamp.  I'm sure
they're nice guys.

  Been a long time, but this is how I recall those motors.  Prestolite 7.2 inch
diameter MGP motor was a 36 volt compound lift pump motor using 5 inch 33 slot
wave armature.  That same MGP armature was used in series motors, like MGT and
MJU.  The MGS was same size motor for 24 volts and had a 5 inch 34 slot lap
armature, and a series field.  So, the MGS field would fit with MGP armature,
but was probably a few turns light of optimum.  Likely not to overheat.  I
would have used the MJU fields.  Sorry, just don't remember all the turns per
coil.

  Now Prestolite made the MTA-4001 for the Lectric Leopard.  I know it was the
same size as all the above motors and compound wound for 48 volt.  I am pretty
sure it used the MGP armature (33 slot), with new field (MTA).

  To my knowledge, Prestolite didn't make shunt motors back then (70's and
80's).

  You can get shunt, separately excited and compound motors to work as well as
series motors if you properly control them.  If fact there can be advantage
with this.  However the series motor may be the best approach for a lot of EV
applications, especially guys looking for a 1/4 mile range.

  Hope that helps.

  Jeff

Jim Husted <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Hey Mike, Jeff, all

I know Marko runs a 7" Prestilite shunted motor, I
believe the MGP in Fiamp. I've heard they don't work
as well as a series wound but I know of others using
them as well.

Brian Hall sent me down a Lectric Leopard motor which
is a modified Prestolite shunt motor. I happen to
have a compatable 7" series coil set so I offered to
throw them in rather than reinstall the set it came in
with. Anyway it appears to be an MGP (it's been
modded) and I believe the series coils are from an MGS
as memory serves.

First I'm wondering what Jeff thinks about this, and
second that Brian might be able to shed light on how
this motor was being run and how it preformed, he did
tell me to swap the coils out so sounds like it wasn't
optimal with the shunt coils.

I don't know if they used standard motors for the
Lectric Leopard or if this is even an OEM one, but
that might be a lead to look into for what they did
being it seemed to have at least worked. The motor
doesn't show any signs of heat for what it's worth.

Anyway just came across this bridge here myself.
Hope this helps

--- Jeff Major wrote:

> Mike,
>
> About the controller. I have used a Curtis
> 48V,275A series controller on a compound motor
> leaving original motor field connections intact.
> Been working fine for over 10 yrs on a old Sears
> lawn tractor. But I've never tried that controller
> on a shunt motor. At least a compound motor has
> some field in series with the armature. Guess I'd
> worry about the shunt motor without any series field
> having such a low inductance that the current will
> rise so fast that the controller won't handle it.
> Also, if you leave the shunt field across the
> armature connections, on start up, high current and
> low voltage from controller, the field will also be
> low, meaning low torque and low back emf, meaning
> higher currents for longer time.
>
> Well, if you can follow that, it might work, then
> again?????
>
> I don't think they actually make a shunt motor
> controller, but do make a separately excited motor
> controller (SepEx). These are made to controller
> armatures with the low inducatnce and would work on
> a shunt motor. The SepEx controller has separate
> terminals to connect the field. Usually, the SepEx
> motor has a much lower resistance field than a shunt
> motor, so the SepEx controller can over excite the
> field at high armature currents. I suspect you
> could program (or tune) a SepEx controller to run
> the shunt motor. Possibly reconnect the fields
> (like from series to parallel) to lower field
> resistance. Sevcon, as well as Curtis, makes SepEx
> controllers. Sevcon is less $. I've used both on
> SepEx motors.
>
> Another way, if you connect the shunt field
> separately to the battery, then the motor (which
> would be just the armature) should resemble a PM
> motor. They do make PM motor controllers. But I am
> not sure they would be powerful enough for you.
>
> Good luck.
>
> Jeff
>
> mike golub wrote:
> Hello
>
> I'm working on my metro conversion project.
> I got this g29 aircraft generator which is a shunt
> motor.
>
> I am in the process of building my own adapter plate
> and shaft coupler.
>
> I was thinking about direct drive, and shifting
> without the clutch.
>
> One big question is can I use one of those curtis
> series controllers with this shunt motor? If not are
> there any shunt motor controllers out there?
>
> Another question. I took the nut of the rear of the
> G29, and this long metal shaft came out, and now I
> have a small 16 teeth spline sticking out. Is that
> what people have been mounting the flywheel on?
> It seems I could make a new shaft that would have a
> better connecting piece?
>
> Again thanks in advance!

> ---------------------------------
> Expecting? Get great news right away with email
> Auto-Check.
> Try the Yahoo! Mail Beta.

Looking for earth-friendly autos?
http://autos.yahoo.com/green_center/

Try the Yahoo! Mail Beta.

I had written:

>We'll have about 4-6 more real time slips that we'll share with everyone after this coming Saturday when we take White Zombie to the >track for the first time with its new more powerful battery pack.....

Just a note for anyone who was planning on attending the races tonight. PIR is closed for drag racing tonight. Their web page was pretty vague, and though tonight wasn't listed as being 'on', it was also not included in the list of four dates that were the exceptions for all the Saturday night drag races that are 'on' this year. I finally got in touch with PIR personnel moments ago, and they confirmed the track is closed to drag racing tonight...oh well, it's supposed to rain tonight anyway.

The good news, is that tomorrow, Sunday, it's supposed to dry out and get warm again....and, the track is having their Winter season opener for points drag racing...during the day! PIR says for us to bring White Zombie and they'll make sure we can run! So the plan is now tomorrow from noon on for drag racing at PIR.

See Ya.....John Wayland

I appreciate the replies both Jim and Roderick,

I sent the wrong URLs (they were local URLs to me):
<http://walfstream.alfred.edu/~martin/motor1.JPG>
<http://walfstream.alfred.edu/~martin/motor2.JPG>
<http://walfstream.alfred.edu/~martin/motor3.JPG>

Yes, it's basically all or nothing on this motor. I paid for it and waited a
month, I have to get this "car" done in a month on way or another!

The pressed-on spline adapter is almost certainly hardened to some extent?

Thanks,
Martin Klingensmith

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I finally got my EZ-GO 6" Advanced DC series motor
> this week. It took a
> month for me to get it after ordering on eBay. Long
> sad story (from the
> seller)
>
> I knew what I was getting into when I bought this
> motor so I'm not going to
> say "oh I didn't know it would be hard to get it
> running", but what I'm
> looking for is a bit of advice from someone who
> knows a bit more about these
> motors. If you look at the pictures:
> <http://walfstream/~martin/motor3.JPG>
> <http://walfstream/~martin/motor2.JPG>
> <http://walfstream/~martin/motor1.JPG>
>
> You will notice that the piece with the inside
> spline looks like it's not
> part of the main shaft. In fact it really couldn't
> be based on the cold-saw
> cuts on the shaft (at the bottom of the spline)
> It also looks like it was heated up when pressed
> onto the shaft (see
> motor3.JPG)
> My question to the more mechanically inclined people
> is: How do you think
> this is attached to the shaft of the motor?
> Do you think I can pull it off or should I leave it
> on there?
>
> The way I see it, I have two options for
> mechanically connecting to the
> motor:
> Find something with a 19 tooth spline that measures
> about 0.834 diameter
> Turn a (round) stub shaft that fits into the spline
> hole and tig weld it
> (making it go out of round?)
>
> Here are a few measurements I made:
> Inside case diameter: 5.85"
> Hole-hole (center-center) distance: 4.375"
> Case thickness: 0.435"
> Depth from edge of case to field windings: 0.395"
> Outside diameter of shaft: 1.35"
> Length of shaft from end to rotor laminations:
> 1.785"
> Length of spline cut: 0.900"
> --
> Martin Klingensmith

Finding fabulous fares is fun.
Let Yahoo! FareChase search your favorite travel sites to find flight and
hotel bargains.

Martin Klingensmith

On Mar 16, 2007, at 11:13 PM, Roderick Wilde wrote:

Here is a great new video featuring Otmar: http://www.peakmoment.tv/conversations/52.html

Thanx for sharing Rod.

Otmar, that was SWEET! A very positive interview. Solid EV information without the all to common hype.

Paul "neon" G.

On 17 Mar 2007 at 9:27, Lawrence Rhodes wrote:

> I was entertained.

This is pure rant, not even worth the reading time.  Please, let's not waste
bandwidth discussing it here.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
EV List Administrator

Note: mail sent to "evpost" or "etpost" addresses will not reach me.
To send a private message, please obtain my email address from
the webpage http://www.evdl.org/help/ .

I am trying to establish the specs of a motor  which I bought.

It's a 6.7" unit, about 10 inches long, has a keyed taper  shaft and the
following number stamped on the case

S5!649JB447A

I  have added the exclamation mark in the third position because the
character is  indeterminable, but has a looped base so maybe a 6,8 or zero, or
even a
character O or C maybe ?

I bought it rated as a 36V, 2000rpm, 96Amps, 4HP device, but how many times
do things not turn out to be what they're supposed to be  ?
It has  a helical gear on the output shaft about 40mm dia and about  25mm
long, at a guess

Hoping someone might be able to shed some light on it for me.

Thanks in advance

--- Begin Message --- I was wondering the general principles of ****variable***( the key here is variability) braking incorporating running a an electric motor as a braking generator.

Sure I understand you run the motor with no power applied but how do you make it VARY its braking ability from min to maximum when your vary the brake pedal pressure? Also how do you stop it from braking if you want to coast?

Is it a variable resistor in the motor circuit and if so where?

I am sure it differs for DC permanent magnet motors and ac motors as well.
What are the basic differences in a braking circuit for a Dc vs AC motor and a magnet versus non magnet moto?.

I am trying to under what goes on in the control box to vary the braking so I can replicate a simplified hacked versions without a controller box for a simple table top circuit using a toy car motor (a permanent magnet dc motor).

Then i want to be able to explain how it works (to kids) in an AC car motor with and without magnets.

Really simplified if possible.

I can't believe .. but then again, I noticed that it was NOT you, Larence,
who wrote that, well, thing.

Whenever I read (or hear) about 'angels', 'satan' or other imaginary
figures, I am realizing, that mankind still has a long, long way to go.

It is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in
delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
-- Carl Sagan

hey Otmar  great job . I got my wife to watch the video , she was impressed and
you compacted the whole commutated experience much better than I could . thanks