  1) Re: Understanding my motor (ADC L91 & X91 6.7" motors revisited)
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: Controller
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: Understanding my motor (ADC L91 & X91 6.7" motors revisited)
        by Jim Husted <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: Make it
        by Cory Cross <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: EVgrin - RAVolt takes first EV trip
        by "Rob Hogenmiller" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: firefly batteries?
        by Bruce Weisenberger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: An Ebay find?
        by "Joseph T. " <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: firefly batteries?
        by "Joseph T. " <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Electrical/Mechanical Engineering
        by "Joseph T. " <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) AGM vs Gel
        by "Tehben Dean" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) ???kWh EV battery pack
        by "Tehben Dean" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: AGM vs Gel
        by "Joe Smalley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: AGM vs Gel
        by "Joseph T. " <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: ???kWh EV battery pack
        by "Joseph T. " <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: Cheap "balancer" for A123 pack
        by Bill Dube <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: An Ebay find?
        by lyle sloan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: An Ebay find?
        by Danny Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: Make it
        by Dan Frederiksen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: Manly EV's, RE: EV are for girls blog
        by "Loni" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Re: VOLTS vs AMPS & RE: Make It
        by Dan Frederiksen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) RE: Electrical/Mechanical Engineering
        by Mike Willmon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) Re: AGM vs Gel
 23) RE: ???kWh EV battery pack
        by Mike Willmon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 24) Where'd all the NEDRA folks go?
        by Mike Willmon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 25) Latest honoree of the Troy Heagy award, was Re: Make it
Jeff Major wrote:
Those slots have 2 wires in them, don't they?

I thought it was one, but I'm going by memory. Jim Husted would know. Jin, you got your "ears" on? Have you seen the internals of an ADC L91 and X91 for comparison?

Phelps wrote:
Building a fancy mechanical switch... Is that so hard? Maybe...
Maybe not?

You certainly can build mechanical PWM switchers. Commutator are mechanical switchers, and they obviously work.

The big challenge with a mechanical switcher is to be sure that there is always a path for the inductive current, to minimize contact arcing. Electronic controllers use a diode for this. Purely mechanical PWMs, built in the "good old days" before semiconductors, had to use other methods.

The classic method is to set up a resonant circuit, with the motor's inductance and a large capacitor (called a "buffer cap"). The switch is mechanically resonant at the frequency of this electrically resonant circuit. The PWM switch closes; the current resonantly goes from 0 to 2x the desired current, and then resonantly rings back to almost zero current again. At this instant, the switch opens. There is therefore minimal arcing at the switch because it opens and closes at zero current.

The off-time between these cycles is varied to control the percent on-time of the motor.

On the surface of it, it sounds "easy". In practice, the parts are physically large, the currents are high, and there is a great deal of finesse required to get it all working right.

Hey Lee, Jeff

The L91 has just one wire per slot, although there is
a bottom and a top winding, so depending on how you
count it, lol.  I've not seen the X91.
Hope this helps 8^)
Jim

It's here! Your new message!

Dan Frederiksen wrote:

I alot of people have claimed that it must be that expensive but I don't believe they have offered specific reasons why

to sum up:
the electronics parts cost
circuit board
any bussbar
casing, cooling plumbing and prettyfication
assembly/programming

is either of those super expensive in your opinion and if so which and how much? I don't consider the design a cost since that's a one off so don't mention that

Want to pay my design costs then?

do you have any costs to add?

Dan

Congrats on the EV.