  1) Tesla motors ABC news report
        by Dan Frederiksen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: limiting wire
        by "Joseph T. " <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: Jay Leno reviews the Tesla Roadster
        by "Andrew Kane" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: conversion  question
        by Bob Bath <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Electric Bike
        by "Joseph T. " <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Electric Bike
        by "Joseph T. " <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: Building LiFePO4 packs from many, many 18650s (was Re: Tesla Roadster
Battery Pack)
        by "Shaun Williams" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: Building LiFePO4 packs from many, many 18650s (was Re: Tesla
 Roadster Battery Pack)
        by Dan Frederiksen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: Building LiFePO4 packs from many, many 18650s (was Re: Tesla Roadster
Battery Pack)
        by "Joseph T. " <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: Building LiFePO4 packs from many, many 18650s (was Re: Tesla Roadster
Battery Pack)
        by "Shaun Williams" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: Zivan ICS 200 Avcon charging problem
        by "Paul Compton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: Building LiFePO4 packs from many, many 18650s (was Re: Tesla Roadster
Battery Pack)
        by Marcin Ciosek <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: Electric Bike
        by "Roland Wiench" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: Electric Bike
        by "mike young" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Catch phrase for the EVDL
 16) Re: Building LiFePO4 packs from many, many 18650s (was Re: Tesla
 Roadster Battery Pack)
        by Dan Frederiksen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: Catch phrase for the EVDL
        by Dave Cover <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: Catch phrase for the EVDL
        by Mike Chancey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: Catch phrase for the EVDL
        by JS <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Re: Catch phrase for the EVDL
        by Dan Frederiksen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Re: Dead Batteries
        by "Tom Carpenter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) Re: Converted super cars
        by Matthew Drobnak <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) Re: Catch phrase for the EVDL
        by David Wilker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 24) Delivery status notification (failure)
        by Dan Frederiksen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 25) Re: Delivery status notification FIXED!!
        by Mark Dutko <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 26) Re: Building LiFePO4 packs from many, many 18650s
        by Matthew Drobnak <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 27) Re: Delivery status notification FIXED!!
        by Dan Frederiksen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 28) Re: conversion  question
 29) Re: Catch phrase for the EVDL
        by GWMobile <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 30) Re: Catch phrase for the EVDL
        by GWMobile <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 31) Re: Electric Bike
        by "Joseph T. " <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 32) Re: Catch phrase for the EVDL
        by "Joseph T. " <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 33) Re: Delivery status notification (failure)
        by "Joseph T. " <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 34) Re: Delivery status notification (failure)
        by "Joseph T. " <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 35) Re: Ideal EV configuration for my situation?
sorry if this has been on here before
nothing major but might contain a few new bits of info
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRd7ER7u-KU

Dan

also, what do you do when you forget to put the heat shrink
on a few of the cables?
do you split the 2/0 heat shrink, and then put overtop of it
the size heat shrink that will slide over the clamp?

This happened to me when I was connecting some small wires.
Unfortunately cutting a heatshrink in two, and then putting the two
heatshrink pieces in such a way that together they wrap around the
wire doesn't work. When you heat it, the heatshrink shrink, but not
around the wire.The two pieces split and just squish up into a little
piece of plastic. That's what happened small scale at least.

On 7/9/07, keith vansickle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I just made up some cables and painted them with tool
dip as an insulator...don't know if it will take heat
or not but terminals shouldn't get hot if well
made/connected
just an idea i'll see how it holds up

--- Roger Stockton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
> > The question is,  If I have one or two 1/0 cables
> or one lug end
> > connector., does that make the whole loop as if it
> were 1/0
> > or the I^2/R equation means I only loose a little
> of voltage
> > whereas with all 1/0 cabling I loose ALOT of
> VOLTAGE?
>
> Exactly; the shorter the total length of 1/0 in the
> loop, the lower the
> total voltage drop will be.  Ideally you want all
> cables to be 2/0, but
> every 1/0 cable you replace will decrease the
> voltage drop.
>
> > also, what do you do when you forget to put the
> heat shrink
> > on a few of the cables?
> > do you split the 2/0 heat shrink, and then put
> overtop of it
> > the size heat shrink that will slide over the
> clamp?
>
> Just get heatshrink large enough to go slide on over
> the clamp
> (heatshrink typically has about a 3:1 shrink ratio,
> and 2/0 cable is
> about 5/8" diameter, so you could use heatshrink up
> to about 2" (but use
> the smallest that will slide over the clamp with the
> pinch bolt
> removed).
>
> Use adhesive-lined heatshrink if at all possible; it
> is more expensive
> but worth it.  You might want to take a battery
> clamp with you to an
> electronic supply place and try various sizes of
> heatshrink until you
> find the one that will just fit over it.  I suspect
> this may be about
> 1.5".
>
> Alternatively, head for Home Depot (or similar) and
> get some electrical
> tape of the sort that forms a waterproof barrier
> when wrapped over
> itself and simply tape the connections.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Roger.

Choose the right car based on your needs.  Check out Yahoo! Autos new Car
Finder tool.
http://autos.yahoo.com/carfinder/

     I also thought the article was pretty positive on the whole. I
find Leno's skepticism understandable and healthy compared to the
knee-jerk criticisms I have heard from others.
     However, I suspect a Zombie ride wouldn't make much difference
to his outlook. I think he'd probably claim that WZ doensn't operate
in the "real world" but at the drag strip- ignoring the fact that WZ
is driven to and from the strip. Or if he didn't ignore it he might
point out that it can only be driven to a track that's less than 40
miles away on flat ground. Not strictly accurate, but I'm guessing
that would be his reaction.
     Of course, after actually *talking to John Wayland* for awhile,
his attitude might change markedly.

On 7/9/07, lyle sloan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I thought the article was very positive about electric
cars because he cited that the Tesla as having both
power and performance.

http://driving.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/driving/new_car_reviews/article2036260.ece
> http://tinyurl.com/yq8udc
>
> "in the real world most of the fun is between 40mph
> and 80mph, where you put your foot on it."
>
> Someone get that man a short ride in a certain white
> Datsun. :-)
>
> Cheers,
> Claudio

Boardwalk for $500? In 2007? Ha! Play Monopoly Here and Now (it's updated for
today's economy) at Yahoo! Games.

In general you want 1/3 of your rig to be batteries.
My Civic was about 2220 before conversion, and is 3200
now.
Hope that helps,

--- "Tom S." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I have a question, what is best ratio of a
> conversion car without batteries, to batteries,  all
> other things being equal?  For instance, 2000lbs of
> car without batteries, to 1000lbs of batteries,
> would be a  2/1 ratio.
>
> Tom Sines

> PeoplePC Online
> A better way to Internet
> http://www.peoplepc.com

Converting a gen. 5 Honda Civic?  My $20 video/DVD
has my '92 sedan, as well as a del Sol and hatch too!
Learn more at:
www.budget.net/~bbath/CivicWithACord.html
                          ____
                     __/__|__\ __
  =D-------/    -  -         \
                     'O'-----'O'-'
Would you still drive your car if the tailpipe came out of the steering wheel?
Are you saving any gas for your kids?

FareChase.
http://farechase.yahoo.com/

I am in the midst of putting my electric scooter parts onto my bicycle.

It's okay to have electrical conducting parts (nails,metal stuff ect.)
RIGHT next to the motor, right?

I don't know what kind of motor I have. All I know is that it's a 500
watt from Currie Tech.

Also, about the connection from the motor shaft to bicycle wheel.
There is a thin gap (1/2 inch?) between the bicycle chain and bicycle
wheel. I was thinking I can attach some sort of toothed belt or
something from the motor shaft to the gap between the bicycle chain
and wheel. Would a belt that is that thin have the strength to carry
sll of that power?

Post master said my post didn't work. I'm posting it again.

I am in the midst of putting my electric scooter parts onto my bicycle.

It's okay to have electrical conducting parts (nails,metal stuff ect.)
RIGHT next to the motor, right?

I don't know what kind of motor I have. All I know is that it's a 500
watt from Currie Tech.

Also, about the connection from the motor shaft to bicycle wheel.
There is a thin gap (1/2 inch?) between the bicycle chain and bicycle
wheel. I was thinking I can attach some sort of toothed belt or
something from the motor shaft to the gap between the bicycle chain
and wheel. Would a belt that is that thin have the strength to carry
sll of that power?

On 7/9/07, Dan Frederiksen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I'm not sure I follow that reasoning but please tell me the price

Dan,

A123 asked me not to. However, having just bought 2 DeWalt 36V volt
packs (with 10 cells in each pack) for USD $116ea. I would be slightly
better off doing it this way i.e buying another 148 DeWalt packs to
make up my full traction pack of 1500 cells, so you get the idea.

Shaun

www.electric-echo.com

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- hehe ok. that's terrible. curious human stupidity A123 exhibits (that's probably gonna come back to haunt me that I told the truth)

btw if the price from A123 is indeed that terrible, you might be able to make a good deal with some of the ebay sellers of dewalt. seems to me that some of them let them go for around 90$ new in auctions so if you order 150...

worth a shot although a terrible waste but what can we do. it might wake A123 up a bit though if you cancel your order for 1500cells in favor of buying dewalt packs

Dan

Shaun Williams wrote:
On 7/9/07, Dan Frederiksen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I'm not sure I follow that reasoning but please tell me the price

Dan,

A123 asked me not to. However, having just bought 2 DeWalt 36V volt
packs (with 10 cells in each pack) for USD $116ea. I would be slightly
better off doing it this way i.e buying another 148 DeWalt packs to
make up my full traction pack of 1500 cells, so you get the idea.

Shaun

www.electric-echo.com

Can anyone read what I am saying?

Shaun Williams wrote:
> On 7/9/07, Dan Frederiksen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> I'm not sure I follow that reasoning but please tell me the price
>>

> Dan,
>
> A123 asked me not to. However, having just bought 2 DeWalt 36V volt
> packs (with 10 cells in each pack) for USD $116ea. I would be slightly
> better off doing it this way i.e buying another 148 DeWalt packs to
> make up my full traction pack of 1500 cells, so you get the idea.
>
> Shaun
>

> www.electric-echo.com

On 7/9/07, Marcin Ciosek <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I was able to get far better contact with people from PHET and their cells are
at the same level of quality (which was confirmed by HydroQuebec - owner of
LiFePO4 patent) as A123.

That's a big call, hard core data would be required to convince me.

Shaun

www.electric-echo.com

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- The NG3 only draws current from the line when the instantaneous line voltage exceeds the filter capacitor voltage (plus rectifier drop). Therefore it draws current in short pulses, the peak of which is too high for some breakers and the ICS. An inductor 'resists' a change of current and fitting one in line with the charger input will 'spread' the current peaks. Now you have a 'lagging' inductive load presented to the line and you need to fit a capacitor accross the line to present a 'leading' load and compensate.

Paul Compton
www.evguru.co.uk
www.sciroccoev.co.uk
www.bvs.org.uk
www.morini-mania.co.uk
www.compton.vispa.com/the_named
----- Original Message ----- From: "JS" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
and good prices I thought at www.mibelting.com
mike young-solectria cars
> Post master said my post didn't work. I'm posting it again.
>
> I am in the midst of putting my electric scooter parts onto my bicycle.
>
> It's okay to have electrical conducting parts (nails,metal stuff ect.)
> RIGHT next to the motor, right?
>
> I don't know what kind of motor I have. All I know is that it's a 500
> watt from Currie Tech.
>
> Also, about the connection from the motor shaft to bicycle wheel.
> There is a thin gap (1/2 inch?) between the bicycle chain and bicycle
> wheel. I was thinking I can attach some sort of toothed belt or
> something from the motor shaft to the gap between the bicycle chain
> and wheel. Would a belt that is that thin have the strength to carry
> sll of that power?

How about these:

"Electric cars - The future being created in your back yard"

or...

"Mistakes are expensive, but EVDL is free"

or.........

"Give your farewells to gasoline at EVDL.org"

On 7/9/07, GWMobile <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Or
"Charged and ready - no further research needed".

On Mon, 9 Jul 2007 4:12 pm, Mike Chancey wrote:
> "If they won't build them, then we will."
>
> At 05:03 PM 7/9/2007, you wrote:
>> How about
>>
>> "Saving the planet one car at a time, because someone has to do it."
>>

>> --- Lawrence Rhodes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>>>  We have already made the mistakes so you don't have to.  What do you
>>> think?
>>>  Lawrence Rhodes...

www.GlobalBoiling.com for daily images about hurricanes, globalwarming
and the melting poles.

www.ElectricQuakes.com daily solar and earthquake images.

Yup, all the time.

On 7/9/07, Dan Frederiksen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
do you guys also constantly get an email about delivery failure to a
[EMAIL PROTECTED] ?

what's up with that

Dan

But mine says [EMAIL PROTECTED] not [EMAIL PROTECTED]

On 7/9/07, Joseph T. <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Yup, all the time.

On 7/9/07, Dan Frederiksen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> do you guys also constantly get an email about delivery failure to a
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] ?
>
> what's up with that
>
> Dan

SOme things to consider when selecting a donor:
Free donors are not free if you have to spend a fortune fixing them up.
It's usually cheaper to buy a car that's in good shape to begin with.
That being said, don't select donors that are:
1. Heavy
2. Damaged
3. Butt ugly (who wants to drive an ugly car?)

With a Mercedes you don't have to worry about #3, unless #2 applies.
However they do sound a bit heavy, especially for 20 year old cars.

You might try finding a used EV, this is usually the cheapest way to get
the parts.
On your budget, you can't afford AC, not even Victor's.  Your budget might
buy Victors motor/controller, but then you'd have nothing left for
batteries, adapter plate, cabling, battery racks, etc.
DC is going to be tough on your budget, but doable.  Especially if you can
get some good deals on used/surplus parts.

As for sensor readings, I wouldn't worry about feedback from the controller.
They make some nice battery management/monitoring systems now, they should
cover just about everything you need to monitor.

Depenging on what you want the car pc to do, you might look into the
surplus Nextar MN2607 GPS units.
Linux based computer with 20 gig HD, 7" touchscreen, USB host ports,
MultiMedia capability, GPS (obviously).
I paid $250 for one on Woot recently.
I gather the GPS part isn't that great (SiRF II), but I think it's a good
price for a linux carputer with a 7" touch screen