With the field weakening setup in my Citicar, it would go faster but consume
more watt-hours per mile while activated.  Not hard to implement - just a piece
of heavy cable or nichrome strip, a contactor, and a control switch to activate
the field weakening contactor.  There are times when it can be used, and times
when it should be disabled so the driver has to pay attention to how field
weakening is used.

Tom Keenan