On 03/16/2013 01:42 PM, Marcus Reddish wrote:
> Dodge and others used 12V from 1914 till 1926 when they changed to 6V.
>
> The WWII Willys MB military jeep was 24V.  It had two 12V batteries in
> series.  So, yes, 12V batteries were definitely used and mass-produced
> during and well before the 40's.  I would guess many large trucks and
> diesels were using 12v and 24V starting throughout the 30's

The Willys MB was 6V. They switched to 24V for the M38 in 1950. That said, I don't doubt your statement about 24V being used back then for other vehicles. The MB was under strict weight restrictions and probably would have come over weight with 300lbs of batteries in it.

I have read that the 1947 prototype for the Tucker used 24V. WWII fighters often used 24V.

--Rick