I have registered 4 EV's in Hillsboro Oregon, where I live. The DMV is
reasonably aware of EV's, including conversions.
The particular clerk may not know quite how to do this for conversions, but,
in the early days, the clerk and supervisor read the manuals for a while,
and then came out and inspected the vehicle to be sure it was an EV.

Once you are registered as an electric vehicle, there is no DEQ visits
required for renewal at all.

Gary