The spirit of the EV1 lives on!

http://www.plugincars.com/gm-ev-1s-live-ready-ev-2-127656.html
GM's EV1 Lives On, With EV2 on the Way
By Jim Motavalli  July 03, 2013

[images
http://www.plugincars.com/sites/default/files/ev2%20osu%20ev1.JPG
Ohio State's EV1 looks good, but the drivetrain is off in other cars. (Jim
Motavalli photo)

http://www.plugincars.com/sites/default/files/ev-2%20comparo.jpg
The car at left is what the Silver Streak will look like when done. The
other one you know. Family resemblance? (John Wayland graphic)

videos
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KO9tJXxHHZw
The General Motors EV-1: A Rare Survivor, in Ohio!
Jim Motavalli  Jul 3, 2013
Some 40 EV-1s lived through the crushing of most of the 1,100-car production
run, and ended up at universities and research centers--minus key drive
components. Some intrepid students have gotten them running again. Jim
Motavalli reports.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1XwPQeG49w
Non-crushed EV-1 driving around
BenjaminNelson  Jul 18, 2010
http://300mpg.org/
Chelsea Sexton drives the EV-1 (on private property) for first time in 15
years.
]

I walked around the corner at Ohio State’s Center for Automotive Research
(CAR) and there it was: a bright red General Motors EV1, the first
mass-market electric car in the modern era. It was great to see it again,
although looking smaller than I remembered it. It must be at least a decade
since I’ve seen one.

As we all know, most of the 1,117 EV1s produced between 1996 and 1999 (and
finally taken off the road by GM in 2003) were crushed. You may have heard,
they made a movie about it. But a few cars, 40 some say, were spared an
early death and sent to universities and research centers—minus controllers
for the main drive, brakes, power steering and such. They were supposed to
be studied and taken apart by students, not resurrected.

Chelsea Sexton, the EV expert who starred in Who Killed the Electric Car?
and knows the EV1 program intimately, has located perhaps 20 of the cars
sent into the wider world, and is tracking VIN numbers. "The only EV1 not
adulterated before donation is at the Smithsonian, which only accepts
'intact specimens,'" she said.

No Driving, Now

The Ohio State car looks clean, but it’s not a driver. I shot some video of
it.

Don Butler, an OSU research director, told me the university’s had the car
10 years. “It’s used primarily for research,” he said. “One of the terms is
that we can’t drive it on public roads. We got the EV1 with the inverter
disabled, though we were able to un-disable it. But parts of the traction
system went into other cars we were working on, including our EcoCar
contenders.”

Other colleges with EV1s include Western Washington, the University of
Wisconsin, Brigham Young (which built an ultra-capacitor-based drag racing
car with John Wayland of White Zombie fame as a consultant) and Penn State.
The first two, remarkably, are now driving around.

A Rebirth Odyssey

Beginning in September of 2004, the Wisconsin team had quite an odyssey. The
team started by getting a 380-volt nickel-metal-hydride battery together
using parts of an old pack from the Ford Ranger EV (yes, it fit) and then
getting the rest of the cells donated by the University of West Virginia.

They next went through an odyssey with the controller, trying a Solectria
unit from the FutureTruck competition that didn’t work (only making the
motor rattle and hum) because “the control boards were four revisions
apart.” Finally, Ballard Power Systems donated a working controller, but the
student team had to drastically modify the entire suspension/motor subframe
to accommodate it.

There was tons of programming work to do, too, and a big setback when
everything was in place but the integrated powertrain wouldn’t “wake up.” It
turned out to have been installed backwards. By the time that was fixed it
was August of 2005, and the EV1 was finally running and driving. Chelsea
Sexton got to pilot it. "The experience was bittersweet," she said. "Very
nostalgic, from the start-up cascade of dashboard lights to same familiar
smell."

I’m sure the students involved got more hands-on training than any classroom
could offer. Here's some video of that car on the road, with Chelsea at the
wheel:

Another One Up and Running

The Washington car was resurrected in 2007 after an intensive round of
hardware and software work from students, faculty and a now-defunct electric
car company called EV Bones. Sexton says it's the closest car to stock,
missing only one significant original part.

There are still occasional EV1 sightings, including one that shows up
clearly on old Google Earth maps, parked on a back street in Richmond,
California. But a really cool corollary to all this is the EV2 now under
construction by the afore-mentioned Wayland. Yes, an EV2.

Get Ready for the EV-2

Wayland has taken an original EV1 transaxle with motor and transplanted it
into his 2000 Honda Insight hybrid (a car known as the “Silver Streak”)
which he says was modeled somewhat on the EV1. He’s also found four
rare-as-hen’s-teeth EV1 wheels (a 2.5-year adventure) and after modifying
the hubs and suspension, has those on the car, too.

EV2

Wayland (who's had some experience behind the wheel of EV1s) thinks the
“EV-2,” with a custom-made 71.5-kilowatt-hour battery pack (featuring Dow
Kokam cells), will be good for 400 miles on a charge. It helps that the
original Insight weighed only 1,800 pounds. The Silver Streak should weigh
only slightly more than the original EV1. “I’m flipping the bird to GM for
crushing the EV1, and doing the same to Honda for making fun of electric
cars when they introduced the Insight,” Wayland said.

The EV-2 is now 80 percent complete, with a made-in Oregon Rinehart inverter
one of the highlights of the spec-sheet. Wayland expects it to be on the
road in August or September. “Stuffing 1,000 pounds of lithium-ion into a
Honda Insight is quite a challenge,” he said. Nobody would doubt that. By
the way, the Silver Streak is getting handmade “EV2” badges based on the
original.

The spirit of the EV1 lives on!
[©2013 PluginCars.com]

For all EVLN posts use:
http://electric-vehicle-discussion-list.413529.n4.nabble.com/template/NamlServlet.jtp?macro=search_page&node=413529&query=evln&sort=date

Here are today's archive-only EV posts:

EVLN: Buying A Fiat 500e Electric Car is 'Environmentally Sexy' (video)
EVjobs: National EV Sweden seeks 27 assembly line workers @Trollhattan
EVLN: Pikes Peak: Mitsubishi spoils Toyota’s electric dreams
EVLN: White House taking petition under advisement & prepare a response
+
EVLN: Baltimore, MD vandals smash/destroy public EVSE j1772 couplers

{brucedp.150m.com}