Lee,
I struggle with a lot of these details because the NEC is not a how to book.
The requirements begins with article 110.2 Approval; requires that wire and
equipment be approved.   Article 100 defines Approved as being acceptable to
the authority having jurisdiction.  Typically the authority having
jurisdiction accepts a professional engineers sealed report or a recognized
testing agency, like UL or ETL, putting a safety mark on the item.  Then the
authority having jurisdiction just verifies it was properly used.

Here is an excerpt from a UL document,
http://www.ul.com/global/eng/pages/corporate/contactus/faq/general/backgroun
d/
"There are no laws specifying that a UL Mark must be used. However, in the
United States there are many municipalities that have laws, codes or
regulations which require a product to be tested by a nationally recognized
testing laboratory before it can be sold in their area."  Being sold also
means being used.

Another UL document
http://www.ul.com/global/documents/corporate/aboutul/publications/newsletter
s/electricalconnections/october08.pdf .

So the UL requirements come from your state, county or city.

I agree J1772 and all this is just a super safe connector system.
I believe article 625 came about with the EV1 to make charging as safe and
possibly difficult as possible.  Look at the original J1772 fist size
connectors.

Personally I would not want to plug a 14-50 in while standing in the rain.
I would not want to plug one in if there was a short on the vehicle side.  I
would not even consider putting one in a public space and allowing strangers
use a 14-50 because of liability issues.
On the J1772 side there is a double labyrinth of plastic between me and the
pins, power is off until fully mated and the pilot signal is accepted, there
is full GFI on the power.  I would use one in the rain, pick one up out of a
puddle shake it off and use it with no fear except for mud.

David Kerzel
Modular EV Power LLC