Rick Beebe wrote:
> There's no reason a similar system couldn't work for the Plugshare
> stations. And/or they could add a credit card reader. After all, almost
> every gas pump has one now. It's not clear to my why these EVSE vendors
> think they have to invent something new.

A filling station has a telephone line that serves all their credit card
readers, including those on the pumps. This is an extra expense,
particularly if you're looking at a standalone, unattended charging
station. I won't discuss the security implications of transmitting
credit card data wirelessly, etc. here...

The QR code or phone number approach is very smart and avoids the whole
business of dealing with credit card data in transit. All that is kept
on the back end, and all you are doing is managing login and duration data.

Best regards,
-- Cal Frye, www.calfrye.com

"History never looks like history when you are living through it. " -
Abe Lincoln.