From: ev-boun...@lists.evdl.org [mailto:ev-boun...@lists.evdl.org] On Behalf
Of Martin WINLOW
Sent: Sunday, February 23, 2014 7:24 AM
To: Electric Vehicle Discussion List
Subject: Re: [EVDL] Getting Around Energy Density by Tethering - EVs For
Agriculture

"three conductor wire" - Do you mean 3-phase?

Why do ordinary domestic AC mains cable reels heat up if used coiled, then?
MW

On 22 Feb 2014, at 17:26, Bill Dube wrote:

> AC, not DC powered. Transformer changes ~13 kv distribution voltage down
to 480 vac.

> Cord reels ("coils") consist of three conductor wire with current flowing
equally in both directions, so there is no inductance associated with the
"coil". Thus no inductive heating from the AC.

> On 2/22/2014 3:55 AM, Martin WINLOW wrote:
>> Hi Bill,
>>
>> I'm assuming the power must be DC... or otherwise wouldn't the coils get
V hot?  Or is this what the transformer you mentioned deals with?

>> MW
>>

>> On 21 Feb 2014, at 17:53, Bill Dube wrote:
>>
>>> Electric coal mining equipment is cord-connected. Even enormous
draglines ("steam" shovels on steroids) are typically cord connected with 13
kV cables. It is a mature science. Coal mining equipment has been electric
powered since the early 1900's. Specialized cables, reels, transformers, and
equipment for the mining industry. Easily transferable technology to
agriculture.

>>> They typically put a reel on the back of the mining machine that pays
out (or pulls in) the cable as needed. They have a "load center" transformer
that is moved around as the mining process proceeds.

>>> Electric shuttle car for underground coal transport from working face:
>>> http://www.undergroundcoal.com.au/fundamentals/11_face.aspx
>>>
>>> Nifty tutorial on cables for mining EVs:
>>> http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/mining/content/deratingfactors.html
>>>
>>> Dragline cable:

http://www.miningphoto.com/details/2140/dragline_working_in_background_remov
ing_overburden_with_drill_rigs_drilling_blas

>>> Bill Dube'
>>> (Used to work as an Electrical Inspection intern for the Mine Safety and
Health Administration, MSHA)