Peri Hartman wrote:
This is somewhat academic (because the cost for a BMS is still surely
cheaper), but couldn't this be done electronically instead of with
contactors?

Since the current would be zero when the cells are switched from a series to
parallel configuration, it seems that using IGBTs (or whatever) would be
possible.

Yes, but the IGBTs would have a significant voltage drop. A considerable amount of your power would be lost as heat.

Century-old EVs used big rotary or cylindrical "drum" switches to reconnect the batteries in various series-parallel combinations for driving and charging. If you really wanted to go this way, I think a rotary or drum switch setup would be cheaper, smaller, and more efficient than contactors or solid-state switches.

The mad scientist in me is envisioning a 100-pole knife switch. :-)

--
ICEs have the same problem as lightbulbs. Why innovate and make
better ones when the current ones burn out often enough to keep