On 24 May 2014 at 7:37, Electric Blue auto convertions  via EV wrote:

> Im getting sick and tired of hearing people blaming " big oil" for all the
> worlds problems.

Our modern society is built on and dependent on petroleum.  We have
sophisticated plastics.  We have air travel.  We have space travel.  It's
quite possible that none of that would have happened without petroleum.

We also have cancer and other diseases related to chemicals from petroleum
and pollution from petroleum.  We have oil spills killing plants and animals
that people depend on for survival.  It's quite possible that none of THAT
would have happened without petroleum.

I know, if we want the benefits, we have to accept some harm.  However, a
rational society would say, "Let's regulate this.  Let's try to maintain the
benefits we get from oil, but also mitigate the harm with sensible
legislative control of these oil companies."

Some of that actually did happen 40-50 years ago here in the US, Europe, and
some parts of Asia.  Then the oil companies, like others, discovered that
modest investments in political systems paid big dividends in profit.

> Im making money just sitting on my ass.

Not really.  You worked for the money that you loaned them by buying stock,
no?

However, you should realize that your investment is working against EVs.
That's your own business you're undermining!  If someday those big oil
companies decide to buy laws restricting or banning conversion of ICEVs to
EVs, you'd join those unemployed Golf Coast fishermen in looking for other
work.

BP, Shell, Exxon, and all the rest don't care.  We're nothing to them.

Meanwhile, the stock dividends you get depend on how well your companies
evade and defeat the few laws that protect your health and your job.  Some
folks would call that tainted money.

There are good reasons that some of us want to see more legal restrictions
on the damage oil companies can do to people and the world around them.

All that said, the EVDL is NOT the place to debate this issue.

However, when we talk about EVs, it's inevitable that sometimes we're going
to talk about the immense political and economic power that oil companies
have long used to keep EVs down.

So, you're sick and tired of it.  I'm sorry to hear that.  Maybe you should
set up an email filter so you don't see those posts.  As my mom used to say
to my dad when he said he was sick and tired of something, "Then you'd
better see a doctor and get some sleep."  ;-)

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
EVDL Administrator