Raw silicon is certainly less expensive, but refined silicon is refined by,
ahem, burning a LOT of petrochemicals.  Not quite as energy-intensive as
aluminum smelting, I'd guess, but nearly so. That's why the embedded energy of
PV panels nearly always outweighs their lifetime solar energy capture. Have to
put them in the right places (meaning Arizona or New Mexico or North Africa,
not your roof) to make that equation work out favorably. Unfortunately.

                -Bill