Our definitions of obsolete must differ. In my book, neither are obsolete.

Far from being obsolete in 1984, phono cartridges are still not obsolete, have
been showing double digit growth, and are part of the most high end sound
systems. I'm not aware of any upcoming technology to replace them, unless you
consider lasers as a future replacement. But that doesn't make them obsolete.

And while electric drive vehicles will likely replace many ICEs, it will be
many years before they could be considered obsolete, or when their sales are
equivalent to horseshoe sales for transportation.

Sent from my iPhone