Well, reading his Wiki entry, he is clearly not stupid.  I can only assume he
fervently believes that transitioning an ICE-based business to electric will
ruin the company he has worked so hard to turn around over the last 5 years or
so.  As well as having a law degree e is also an accountant so it may just be
that he can't see the profit in it and therefore thinks there's no point in it.
 The (apparent) fact that he is a chain smoker might help explain his
mindset...?  It might also mean that someone with a broader frame of mind might
be is his shoes before too long!

I wonder if he's ever driven one?

MW