On 7/7/14 6:47 PM, Ben Apollonio via EV wrote:
I know it's not a 'true' EV, but definitely don't forget the noble
Chevy Volt.  At just $34k before tax credit, it provides decent EV
range (unlike the other PIH), decent performance, a coddled battery
that will last forever, actual back seat and trunk space (unlike the
puny Leaf), and versatility that only the Tesla can rival (at 3x the
price).  I think its the perfect car for someone who wants to go EV,
needs more than the 70 miles the automakers have settled on (or lives
in harsh climates), and can't/won't throw down a fortune for a
Tesla.

The Volt is worth considering for anyone who needs one car that can do some electric and some gas. It's not the best at either, but it does it all in one car.

To be accurate though, I don't think the Volt has any significant back seat or trunk advantage over the LEAF. I'd expect the Volt to have less space since it's classified as a compact whereas the LEAF is classified as a mid-sized vehicle. The LEAF can seat 5 people, vs. 4 in the Volt.

From one comparison:
(http://www.autotrader.com/research/article/car-reviews/224415/2014-nissan-leaf-vs-2014-chevrolet-volt-which-is-better.jsp)
"We're also not sold on the Volt's cargo capacity: Seats up or down, it only has about half the cargo volume of the Leaf."

For less money the LEAF also gives you at least double the EV range, double the 240 volt level two charging speed, and a 440 volt fast charge port that's not available on the Volt. Plus a simpler mechanical design with no complex gas engine or exhaust system to repair, ever. On the flip side, the Volt can burn gas for longer range needs. While it's not as efficient as a Prius for long trips, if you want it all in one car the Volt can do it.

So it just depends on what your driving needs are. There's no ultimate winner, just different options to fit different needs.

One of each might be a nice combination for two car families with a mix of driving needs.

Cheers,
 -Jamie

That said, if you have the money, the Tesla is definitely the
superior car for 99% of your driving needs.

-Ben

On Jul 7, 2014, at 5:41 AM, brucedp5 via EV <ev@lists.evdl.org>