I am betting there are flux guides involved however it is done.  Some iron
in the circuit does wonders for concentrating fields, though high
frequencies...is permeability of material a function of frequency?  I
always did DC magnetics.

The cores in transformers are no more or less than flux guides that are
magnetically soft to reduce loses to heat.

Maybe a simple isolation transformer (1:1) works if you can put the sending
and receiving coils on U shaped cores and the mating faces are brought
close together, preferably touching.  The core/pole faces are not electric
contacts, so no arcing, they carry the current in the flux gradients.

Still any eddies that are generated in the flux guides are a loss -  the
kind of power we are talking about might even need cooling.

I actually like big-assed contacts for this, not inductive.  But I am
simple minded.  I think I would rather plug it in than build all this for
induction.

On Wed, Jul 23, 2014 at 12:47 PM, Lee Hart via EV <ev@lists.evdl.org> wrote:

> From: George Tyler
> >I have done a lot of transformer and inductor design over the years,
> always
> >said "you can't focus or direct a magnetic field", apart from ordinary
> >magnetic materials of course. On day I found something that someone had
> put
> >together on the web: He pointed out that if you have a resonant coil in a
> >magnetic field then the field it creates cancels the field around the
> >outside, and enhances it in the center on the coil. The effect is just
> like
> >"sucking" in the field into the coil!
>
> That's true. You get the same effect just by having a long solenoid coil,
> where every turn has the same current in it. The magnetic flux travels all
> the way to the end, and then loops back around to the far end. Or a similar
> effect can be observed in a toroid, which can be looked at as a long
> solenoid coil, bent into a donut-shaped loop.
>
> However, that's not very helpful when you have a primary and a secondary,
> unless you can put one winding on top of the other (so all the flux lines
> link both coils).
>
> The resonance effect can make the flux lines link, because again you can
> make the current and phase in both coils identical. But then you can't
> extract any power from the second coil. :-)
>
> One other technique is to surround the transformer with a very good
> conductor; like wrapping it in thick copper sheet. The copper shorts out
> the magnetic flux, forcing it to stay away and flow along the other path
> you would prefer. You'll see this done on transformers in high quality
> audio gear, to "shield" or block the magnetic field from escaping to cause
> hum in the audio. Vicor uses this same trick to squeeze a little more
> efficiency in their switch mode transformers.
>

> --
> Excellence does not require perfection. -- Henry James
> --
> Lee A. Hart http://www.sunrise-ev.com/controllers.htm now includes the GE
> EV-1

*Dalai Lama *