http://www.businesscar.co.uk/news/2014/dealer-debunks-battery-fade-theory
Dealer debunks battery fade theory
Date: 25 July 2014  |  Jack Carfrae

A two-year trial of electric vehicles by a car dealer group claims to have
disproved the theory that EV batteries lose their efficiency over time.

Simon Bailes Peugeot ran a fleet of 20 electric Peugeot Ions over a
collective 200,000 miles and reported efficiency ratings in excess of 99%
from the vehicles' batteries.

The cars were provided to local companies and organisations on a rental
basis for six-month periods

and fitted with loggers, which recorded exact details of journeys, charges
and other information.

The data was sent back to Peugeot for analysis at the end of each year of
the trial, which revealed a degradation of less than 1% in battery
efficiency. The data was also analysed after a third year, which produced
the same result and runs contrary to the commonly held theory that EV
batteries lose significant amounts of efficiency with time and use.

Group founder Simon Bailes told BusinessCar: "We ran the tests at the end of
the first, second and third years - the trial was for two years but we ran
the test again after three - and the results showed less than 1%
degradation. Everything we've got suggests these batteries are going to last
10 years."

Organisations that took part in the scheme included Northumberland Police,
Sage, the Forestry Commission, Virgin Money and various local authorities.

Bailes continued: "Every journey was recorded, every piece of topography was
recorded. We recorded all types of charges, fast and slow. These people were
paying for the use of them in the form of rental, so it wasn't a voluntary
trial, and some of the cars did 20,000 miles. The data proves the sceptics
wrong.

Battery issues have always been a primary concern and are the most common
question we get asked about EVs, but now we have strong, thoroughly tested
evidence that shows this should no longer be a concern.

"These results are staggering as battery life is even better than we could
have predicted. I believe this is a massive step forward for EV use."

The dealer group's trial was part of a broader project known as Switch EV,
which saw other organisations conducting similar programmes.

The project, which is funded by the Technology Strategy Board and managed by
North-East-based Future Transport Systems, has seen 44 EVs cover 403,000
miles and claims to have saved 76,000kg of CO2.
[© businesscar.co.uk]

For all EVLN posts use:
http://electric-vehicle-discussion-list.413529.n4.nabble.com/template/NamlServlet.jtp?macro=search_page&node=413529&query=evln&sort=date

http://www.timesofmalta.com/articles/view/20140727/motoring/Renault-Zoe-to-travel-2-000-miles.529502
Zoe EV 2k-mi epic EVSE round-trip route London2John-O’Groats, UK

http://home.bt.com/lifestyle/motoring/motoringnews/heathrow-shuttle-for-tesla-owners-11363922284330
Heathrow shuttle service for UK Tesla EV owners
http://www.businessgreen.com/bg/news/2357204/tesla-revs-up-uk-presence-with-heathrow-service-centre
Tesla revs up UK presence with Heathrow service centre

http://green.autoblog.com/2014/07/25/drive-ev-pay-equivalent-of-75-cents-a-gallon/
Drive an EV and you, too, can pay the equivalent of 75 cents a gallon

http://green.autoblog.com/2014/07/25/a-window-into-chinas-low-speed-electric-vehicle-revolution/
$2k+ China's Low-Speed-EV revolution has exploded> 200k+ Sold In 2013

http://www.motortorque.com/manufacturer/range-reviews/news/tesla-plans-uk-electric-highway-25449
Tesla plans an electric EVSE highway that spans across the UK
+
EVLN: Musk tells Colbert why he released Tesla patents (videos) +more

{brucedp.150m.com}