I am not sure you are giving HD the company enough credit.  There
engineering is quite good, but they also know their market and have mined
it very well.  They will not kill the goose that lays the golden egg.

HD riders imagine themselves to be outsiders, and indeed some really are.
 I can see the E bike appealing to some, and opening up a new market.
Livewire (a good name) is an interesting way for them to break their mold
without breaking their mold.  If they built a stylish production E
motorcycle line that is better then ICE,  just as Tesla has - that would be
a pretty smart move.

WTF, would become "I would like that in my garage, too."  Right now HD owns
the market of overpriced motorcycles with looks and coolness (matter of
opinion - I am an an old British 2 cylinder guy and prefer Nortons), HD
could be a leader in electric bikes with looks and coolness, too.  Seems
like that have a head start for now.

On Tue, Aug 19, 2014 at 7:28 AM, Chris Tromley via EV <ev@lists.evdl.org>
wrote:

> The Livewire is getting good reviews in the mainstream motorcycle press,
> but it remains to be seen if that means anything.  It is being trotted
> around the country to be shown to Harley riders and dealers for feedback.
>  Sorry if this seems closed-minded, but that's hardly the most open-minded
> or forward thinking crowd.  There are already reports that the response has
> been varying degrees of "WTF?".
>
> Some Harley dealerships have more floor space devoted to Harley-labeled
> boots, vests, chain wallets, ashtrays and phones that go VROOM when they
> ring than motorcycles.  I just can't see that demographic bending their
> heads around such an alien concept as an eMC.  Harley is a cult, and it's
> just not wise to introduce anything that will lead to rifts among the
> devoted.
>
> I'm thinking a new brand is in order, sort of like Toyota and Lexus cars
> are sold in different dealerships.  But that's a pretty big undertaking.
>  Maybe the Livewire is just the tip of the spear in a Harley attempt to
> expand to new markets?
>
> Chris

*Dalai Lama *

Tell me what it is you plan to do