To Ben Goren, in particular and all of the members of the EVDL in
general, I am not arguing with you and your need for range which can
presently be met only with gasoline or diesel according to my
interpretation of your statements.  In the USA we have been surveyed
and this data was presented to the public. It does not declare a
definitive result based upon fuel type, only the mileage driven on a
typical trip:  85% of driven trip miles were under 39 miles.   Also,
99% of driven trip miles were less than 100 miles , leaving only 1% of
trip miles being over 100 miles.  There being about 300,000,000
vehicles driven in the USA. Only one percent is three million vehicles
(Perhaps yours Mr. Goren,) driven over 100 miles on trips . You make
very valid points in you statements, but, the other 99%  (including
me,) have different needs and my choice is a BEV as it suits my needs.
(And I am not driving to the "Grand Canyon" this year..... I simply
state my opinion, "Chose what meets your needs."

On 8/29/14, Ben Goren via EV <ev@lists.evdl.org> wrote:
> On Aug 28, 2014, at 9:44 PM, EVDL Administrator via EV <ev@lists.evdl.org>
> wrote:
>
>> However, for a long as I've followed EVs (and that's over 40 years) the
>> battery has always been the main source of reliability problems.
>
> For me, too. That's why I'm looking to use the smallest pack I can get away
> with for my 1964 1/2 Mustang PHEV conversion, putting extra care into
> thermal management (what with the car being parked outside in the Phoenix
> metro area)...and, even still, mentally preparing myself for replacing
> whatever pack I go with sooner rather than later.
>
> Even if the pack is still at 80% capacity in ten years (which is way more
> than I'd reasonably anticipate), there'll be newer batteries that are
> cheaper, lighter, smaller, and have more capacity before then. If I went
> with a mass-manufacturered EV, I'd feel regret about what to do with the old
> batteries or worry if I was getting fair value on a trade-in or the like.
> Instead, so long as it doesn't die outright, I can use the old battery --
> whatever I decide to go with -- as the start of an whole-house UPS to
> supplement the solar PV roof array.
>
> b&

Dennis Lee Miles

(*evprofes...@evprofessor.com <evprofes...@evprofessor.com>)*

* Founder:    **EV Tech. Institute Inc.*

*Phone #* *(863) 289-0690 (12 noon to 12 midnight Eastern US Time)*

*Educating yourself, does not mean you were **stupid; it means, you are
intelligent enough,  **to know, that there is plenty left to learn!*

*          You Tube Video link:  http://youtu.be/T-FVjMRVLss
<http://youtu.be/T-FVjMRVLss> *