From: "Martin WINLOW via EV" <ev@lists.evdl.org>
To: "brucedp5" <bruce...@operamail.com>; "EVDL Post Message" <ev@lists.evdl.org>
Sent: 14-Sep-14 4:10:01 AM
Subject: Re: [EVDL] Electrifying Large Vehicles> converting buyers to a higher mpge design

(Um, Bruce, I don't want to appear rude, here, but singling out one section of the population on a racial basis for criticism - certainly in this context - is at best rather non-PC and at worst, a bit, well, ... offensive...? I'm trying to be delicate, here! I think I know you well enough to say I am sure you do not mean to be such but I suspect anyone from the Latin American community would be a bit surprised at the reference. Sorry if this is upsetting for you.... and moving swiftly on...)

The overriding impression that I get as a non-US resident (and one who has not yet visited the USA) is that in very general terms, the average US citizen has virtually no idea of how dire the fuel economy of their vehicle is compared to the rest of the world, particularly those parts of the world where diesel and petrol is considerably more expensive than the USA, and not do they care. (I expect some US-based EVDL readers will find this a bit offensive too. Again... sorry!)

Furthermore s/he has no knowledge nor interest in how significant this fact is on the workings of the rest of the world especially how much oil revenue is responsible for funding of various terrorist groups and the misery they cause, let alone furthering the (generally) evil machinations of Big Oil.

I may be wrong.

I'm not a parent but think if I were I would want to do what I could, when driving, to protect my children from the idiots and drunkards out there - I'm sure this is a problem the world over. To that end I would almost certainly consider a 'bigger' vehicle which does, of course, also make it more practical to haul children as well as all the necessary clobber about the place. The downside is a/ the extra cost of vehicle + fuel and b/ the associated guilt (see paragraph 2).

The plus side is that if car designers really wanted to, they could bring the best of all worlds together and design a car/SUV that is not only fuel efficient but also safe and roomy (in the UK such vehicles are called 'people carriers') but will anyone in the US actually buy them? As things stand, the auto-makers can sell the same old same old and that's pretty much all they care about... Then, along came Tesla...

MW