As a perhaps 'what-if' scenario, 'what the future will bring', or as a bit
of a mental exercise, I am posting something relating to the previously
posted large (puffy) truck item
http://electric-vehicle-discussion-list.413529.n4.nabble.com/Electrifying-Large-Vehicles-converting-buyers-to-a-higher-mpge-design-tp4671523.html
Electrifying Large Vehicles> converting buyers to a higher mpge design
  to kick around.

What lead me to this was a hev newswire
http://www.truckinginfo.com/news/story/2014/10/coca-cola-to-more-than-double-hybrid-vans.aspx
 touting Coke delivery vans converted to hev giving better economy. That
newswire did not do much for me, but my next thought was what off the shelf
conversion items were the converter using, so I sought out the converter's
site.

Looking at
http://www.xlhybrids.com/hybrid-van-available-now
 and focusing on the (right side) largest vehicles, I clicked on the spec
link:

http://www.xlhybrids.com/sites/default/files/XL_Hybrids_Cutaway_SalesSheet_Web.pdf
 which gives the specs for their large hev with an image showing an
underside view of the chassis, showing the drive train, pack, etc (ice not
shown but you can figure that part out).

Lets forget all their hoopla pushing hev and assume the future has cheaper
packs, that lends itself to conversion businesses like this to using 'off
the shelf' pih packages (so no longer making hev, but pih conversions).

Instead of the wimpy 1kW hev pack (like what is shown, similar to what a
Prius hev has), their range of converted pih vehicles (from vans to buses to
heavy Strip Chassis trucks) could offer different pack configurations as
options, starting with a lower priced ~20kW, and incrementally increasing
the pack capacity size to fit the customer's need/demand.

This would have a much wider use than just as Coke delivery vans. It could
be implemented all across heavy vehicle uses (from airport
shuttle-vans/people-mover/limo-service to city shuttle-buses to large heavy
box delivery trucks).

Those pih vehicles with a large pack capacity and a regular route could have
an L3 EVSE at their regular/usual stops to quickly boost their e-range use
($aving $, using less chemical-fuel, extending the periods between
ice-maintenance).

Large delivery trucks are regularly parked for queuing to unload or load
items at a site's shipping/receiving dock. Those with refrigeration units
usually offer 240VAC/20A 3-phase power to keep refrigeration units powered.
That same electrical power could put miles back into parked pih vehicles
(same amount of electrical energy, just instead of cooling, it puts e-range
back in).

The possibilities of heavy pih vehicle use are expansive, including
eventually:

- RVs (when they plug in for the night, the smart on-board charger pulls the
maximum power from the Nema 14-50 240VAC 50A outlet and what power is not
needed for the RV appliances is used to recharge the pack> adding e-miles).

- Shuttle buses parked routinely for 15min to give the driver a break, could
use an inductive charging system could pump power back into the pack

- Smaller vans and trucks could fit in standard EVSE parking spaces thus
could use public L3 to regain miles quickly on lunch breaks, etc.

- And some of the civilian drivers that currently drive huge inefficient
(wasteful, puffy) trucks for show (with no intention to actually use them or
get them scratched from work) could also have the option of driving some of
their miles in electric-mode.

The above could  happen, and may be right around the corner. I came across a
pih newswire
http://www.businesswire.com/news/mfrtech/20141027006268/en/Greenkraft-Efficient-Drivetrains-Jointly-Receive-Grant-California
Greenkraft Inc. and Efficient Drivetrains, Inc. Jointly Receive Grant from
California Energy Commission to Develop CNG-PHEV Class-4 Truck

 promoting the CEC's grant funding Greenkraft
http://www.greenkraftinc.com/alternative-fuel-systems/
 to use Efficient Drivetrains'
http://www.efficientdrivetrains.com/
 phev/pih product

I did not see how large the pih pack was, nor what type of charging they
offered. So, while some may think grant $ like this are a waste, grant$ can
show the viability of a business model that produces and or uses large heavy
pih vehicles.

All corrections, comments, views are welcome :-)

For EVLN posts use:
http://www.evdl.org/archive/index.html#nabble+template%2FNamlServlet.jtp%3Fmacro%3Dsearch_page%26node%3D413529%26query%3Devln+-re%26sort%3Ddate
+
EVLN: Awesome Carpenter.cn Sporting His Woodie nEV r:20km ts:30kph
+
EVLN: PatrasU Students' 1seat 110hp 235kg EV +production business plan

{brucedp.150m.com}