One relatively cheap way of doing high power cycle testing is to cycle
power between a large battery bank and the test battery using a
bidirectional DCDC converter.

The DCDC is simple since it's just a switching pole with an inductor and
some controls. A DC motor controller with regen capability can be used as
the DCDC converter, the controls should have a constant torque (current)
mode for it to be useful.

www.electric-lemon.com