'Race Drivers Seem to Love the Renault Twizy'

http://www.telegraph.co.[you
kay]/motoring/green-motoring/11275948/Sir-Stirling-Moss-and-his-souped-up-electric-car.html
Sir Stirling Moss and his souped-up electric car
By Alex Robbins  05 Dec 2014

[image
http://i.telegraph.co.[you
kay]/multimedia/archive/03129/stirling-moss-rena_3129381b.jpg
Stirling Moss and his Renault Twizy  Sir Stirling Moss in his new electric
car
]

After years of racing high-speed Grand Prix and endurance cars, Sir
Stirling’s latest set of wheels is rather more environmentally friendly –
though no less eye-catching

As one of Britain’s best-loved racing drivers, Sir Stirling Moss might be
used to the power and performance of single-seat and Le Mans racers – but
he’s just taken delivery of a new car that’s rather less potent.

Complete with his ‘SM 7’ personalised numberplate, Sir Stirling’s new ride
is none other than a Twizy, Renault’s two-seat electric city car with looks
described at best as extrovert, and at worst as… well we’ll leave it up to
you.

But Sir Stirling rather rates his latest acquisition. “There are couple of
big benefits of having a car like this,” he says. “First of all, it has two
seats, so I can take somebody with me. There's no congestion charge, you can
park nose into the pavement, or even in a metered bay without being charged.

“Also it's quiet and the battery charge lasts for about 50 miles, so I think
it's ideal as a city car. It wouldn't be so good in the country, where you
have to drive 15 miles to get anywhere and still get back.”

But not content with having a stand-out runaround, Sir Stirling’s gone one
better and souped up his example with aftermarket Bilstein suspension –
normally the preserve of boy racers who want to make their cars stiffer so
that they handle better. But in Sir Stirling’s case, the opposite was true.

“I don't know why Renault made it so solid,” he says. “If you got hold of
the car from the outside you couldn't shake it, and when you got going the
ride delivered an unnecessary level of discomfort.

“I simply asked them to improve the chassis any way they saw fit. I told
them about the stiffness of the original suspension and the number of
potholes and cobblestone streets and hoped they would be able to help me not
get shaken like hell.

“Now it's completely, completely different. You don't notice the alterations
so much in the front but on the back it's made a real difference.”

Sir Stirling’s completed the personalisation of his Twizy with a rather
bright shade of green paintwork, some aftermarket window vents, and of
course, his personalised numberplate.

It might not be the sort of thing the majority of the public associate him
with, but Sir Stirling actually has a history of pottering around London in
small city cars.

In fact, the car that wore his ‘SM 7’ numberplate before the Twizy was his
previous runaround, an Aston Martin Cygnet.
[© telegraph.co.[you kay]]

http://www.carswithcords.com/race-drivers-seem-love-renault-twizy/
Why Do Race Drivers Seem to Love the Renault Twizy?
December 5, 2014

As the Telepgraph reports, one of Britain’s best-loved racing drivers, Sir
Stirling Moss might be used to the power and performance of single-seat and
Le Mans racers – but he’s just taken delivery of a new car that is much less
potent: the Renault Twizy. The big plus for Sir Moss over his usual ride:
the second seat.

But its not just Britain’s venerable racing star that is enamored with the
little Twizy. Watch below as two F1 drivers, Romain Grosjean & Pastor
Maldonado, drive the Renault Twizy through The Dubai Mall, the world’s
largest shopping and entertainment destination. The car even fits in the
mall elevator…
[© carswithcords.com]

http://fl1.adaptandengage.com/exclusive-sir-stirling-moss-and-his-new-car-3-3-1/
"I told you its more fun than a scooter”
[image
http://fl1.adaptandengage.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/28/2014/09/moss-digi.jpg
]

 should be about. I loved the Nürburgring, Targa Florio, the Mille Miglia.
The Nürburgring was 14.2 miles long with 197 corners. The Targa Florio was
even longer, and the Mille Miglia was 1,000 miles. I had a guy with me for
that race, giving me signals like a guide dog. The relationship worked out
very well actually! You had to have absolute 100 per cent concentration for
every second around somewhere like the Nürburgring, but that’s what racing’s
all about. You’ve got to remember that in my day, a race was a minimum of
three hours. When I won the Monaco Grand Prix in 1961 it took me
three-and-three-quarter hours to do it.”

There is always a fascinating comparison to be made between eras. Look at
pictures of Sir Stirling battling the legendary Juan Manuel Fangio, both
behind the wheel wearing t-shirts, goggles and leather caps masquerading as
protective head gear. This was decades before carbon fibre and Kevlar. Moss
feels the sport has become a touch too scientific and complex (“more so than
it needs be”). “Look at this steering wheel,” he says from within the Twizy,
“there’s nothing on it. Lewis Hamilton has about 30 buttons on the one in
his F1 car.”

It’s at this point that Moss suggests we go out for a spin. I climb in the
Twizy’s passenger seat, located directly behind the front one. And like
that, we’re off. It’s all rather disarming because the Twizy is completely
silent yet Moss absolutely plants it round corners like he’s back at the
Nürburgring 60 years ago. “It’s quick, isn’t it?” he shouts, weaving in and
out of traffic and finding gaps that would make you more than a bit nervous
if you weren’t being driven by a bona fide racing legend.

Back at his Mayfair residence, he reverses the Twizy into his garage, lifts
up the flap on the bonnet and plugs it in to charge again, keen to keep the
battery fully topped up. He laughs and pats his new car lovingly on the
bonnet.

“See?” he says. “I told you it was more fun than a scooter.” FL
[© adaptandengage.com]
http://www.yourformulalife.com/2014/04/22/stirling-new-car-2/
Stirling and his new car
by Hans Seeberg - April 22, 2014
http://www.stirlingmoss.com/articles/news/stirling-protects-his-renault-twizy-with-paintguard
Stirling protects his Renault Twizy with paintguard.co.[you kay]

http://oppositelock.jalopnik.com/so-it-turns-out-that-sterling-moss-drives-a-renault-twi-1659722752
So it turns out that Sterling Moss drives a Renault Twizy
adamprotter 71MGBGT  11/17/14

[images
http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--HHGRtrai--/c_fit,fl_progressive,q_80,w_636/dtvdtio9iyoikwgglvr6.jpg

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--UeHQweBg--/c_fit,fl_progressive,q_80,w_636/pgigykyah4nlnwxvmj1b.jpg

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--WJKzyEE_--/c_fit,fl_progressive,q_80,w_320/zi0e5idtkaimdeg5ulpa.jpg
]  [© jalopnik.com]
https://twitter.com/tomfishy197/status/444432392338817025
Tom @tomfishy197
Just saw a Legend Sir Stirling Moss driving a #Renault #Twizy in London!
[image
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Birw5-wIAAACTMh.jpg
]  4:18 AM - 14 Mar 2014
[© 2014 Twitter]
http://twicsy.com/i/CcH43f
[image
http://pbs.twimg.com/media/BtEvfJiIgAAdS_K.jpg:large
]
SunmotorsUK: F1 legend Stirling Moss swaps famous Maserati for... a Renault
Twizy @Maserati_HQ @renault_uk http://t.co/fa6CcqP4rk http://t.co/hlbwDQx1gq
- 2014-07-21 14:19:50
[©2014 Searchles]
https://www.google.com/search?q=Stirling+Moss+No.7&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=VACDVJjhMo6nyAS6noDYAw&ved=0CCkQsAQ
#7 race-car images - Stirling Moss No.7 = SM7
http://nice-reg.co.[you kay]/number-plates/SM7.html
SM7

For EVLN posts use:
http://evdl.org/evln/