 To: ev@lists.evdl.org
 Sent: Friday, February 6, 2015 11:48 AM
 Subject: [EVDL] EV/Hybrid-to-home emergency power

Am preparing a talk for this weekend about the unbelievable economics of
solar power where I always stress the economics all comes from the absence
of any BATTERY storage expense and the 95% efficiency of grid-tie and
annual storage in the grid.

But after several slides bashing how un-economical batteries are compared
to  grid-tie, I also then shift over to the HUGE free battery that comes in
your hybrid or EV.  Now you have a whole-house sized battery and it is
off-the-shelf compatible with the high voltages of grid-tie solar!  A
perfect marriage.

And now finally some high voltage input ISLAND inverters are starting to
come available for this VERY obvious home-power market.  Here are some kits
for emergency power from Prius-to-home in the 2 to 5 kVA class. (You’d need
the 5 KVA to run the electric water heater)…

http://www.converdant.biz/plug-out/

Just wondering if anyone has one of these.  They claim to have eliminated
the gournd-loop issue they had in early models.

I am not at all interested in 48v or such off-grid inverters or UPS
conversions.  I want 200-500 VDC input and 240 VAC output because these
then are perfectly compatible BOTH with my solar system raw voltages AND
with the hybrid or EV.  This is the perfect Armagedeon backup system since
one will have the infinite supply of energy from the sun with the solar.
One would have the infinitie supply of transportation fuel (solar) with the
EV, and the whole-house storage is in the EV battery.  And as a side
benefit, you can DRIVE your battery and inverter over to help out anyone
else that needed some power for a while.

In long term outages  (or Armagedon) gasoline is the first thing to run out
of after all the bullets.  Solar, and EV’s  make one self-sufficient
forever (… to the life of the EV battery)…

AND has anyone hacked the HV quick-charge sockets on most EV’s that
connects directly to the battery?

Bob, WB4APR