2015 Zero SR – First Ride
February 3, 2015 By Brian Catterson

[images  / Andrew Wheeler, Joe Salas
http://www.cycleworld.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/2015-Zero-SR-action-1.jpg
2015 Zero SR action shot
http://www.cycleworld.com/olgallery/140732/140740
(gallery)

http://www.cycleworld.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/2015-Zero-SR-static-1.jpg
The Zero SR comes only in red, playing up its racy image
http://www.cycleworld.com/olgallery/140732/140755/16
(gallery)

http://www.cycleworld.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/2015-Zero-SR-power-tank-demo.jpg
The optional Power Tank battery resides where the gas tank would normally go
on a conventional motorcycle. Installing it means eliminating the SR’s
standard integral tank bag

http://www.cycleworld.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/2015-Zero-SR-action-7.jpg
2015 Zero SR corner action shot
http://www.cycleworld.com/olgallery/140732/140746/7
(gallery)
]

Drinking the electric Kool-Aid

When Cycle World asked if I would attend the 2015 Zero Motorcycles press
introduction, I said yes before I’d really thought about it. Aside from a
few parking-lot hot laps, the last Zero I’d spent significant time on was
the MX off-road model circa 2008. So the depth of my experience with
electric bikes is admittedly shallow. But maybe that sort of detached
perspective is what’s required to adequately judge the genre’s progress…

Zero grew from humble roots. Originally known as Electricross, its early
models were little more than electric mountain bikes. The fledgling company
soon changed its name to Zero in reference to emissions. But that could just
as easily have applied to its dealer network as those early machines were
shipped directly to customers.

Fast forward to the present and it’s hard to believe this is the same
company. Long gone from the strip-mall bike shop it once occupied, Zero is
now spread out over two large industrial buildings in Scotts Valley, just
inland from Santa Cruz, California. One houses the staff and the assembly
line while the other is chock full of motorcycles ready for delivery to its
now-substantial dealer network. Unlike most of its would-be competitors,
Zero is the real deal.

In 2013, the model range was completely redesigned using a sustainable
platform of three to four lithium-ion battery modules, nicknamed “bricks,”
housed in one box, called a “monolith” (a nod to 2001: A Space Odyssey).
Each of these bricks is made up of 28 battery packets that are daisy-chained
together before being sealed in to ensure watertightness and to prevent
damage from vibration. An optional supplemental battery module, called a
Power Tank, can be installed to boost range.

This battery pack lives where the internal-combustion engine (“ICE” in EV
parlance) would go on a conventional motorcycle, while the motor (for once
the correct term) resides down low, its output shaft concentric with the
swingarm pivot for constant drive-belt tension. That belt, incidentally, is
about half as wide as that on a Harley-Davidson, owing to the fact that peak
belt tension occurs during gear changes, which are unnecessary on an
electric bike. All battery power is overseen by a controller located between
the seat and rear tire, while the dash lets the rider keep tabs on vital
stats such as charge level.

During the press presentation, we were shown a video that played up Zero’s
slogan “Sophisticated Simplicity.” Unlike more complex electric bikes such
as the Brammo Empulse with its liquid-cooling and six-speed gearbox, Zero’s
machines are purposely uncomplicated. The Zero name can also be applied to
maintenance.

After sampling the FX, S and DS models, we spent a full afternoon riding the
hot-rod SR in the redwood forests surrounding the famed Alice’s Restaurant
south of San Francisco. On those tight and twisty backroads where a
conventional motorcycle rider would leave the transmission in one gear and
surf the waves of torque, the SR felt pretty normal. It’s eerily smooth, and
there’s a bit less engine braking, but dial up the regenerative braking
level via the Smartphone app and it feels even more so. It’s only when the
music in your earphones stops playing that you realize the machine is
utterly silent. The loudest sound is a bit of belt growl while accelerating.

Speaking of which, while there’s no mistaking the SR for a sportbike, it is
certainly sporty. You won’t set any records in the quarter-mile, and
wheelying is out of the question, but with a top speed just north of 100
mph, the Zero SR is definitely not slow! Steering is relatively light and
neutral, but run it into a corner a little too hot, grab some more brake
while leaned over and you’ll feel every one of its claimed 452 pounds.

One of the key changes to the 2015 Zero model line is new brakes featuring a
carrier-less 320mm front rotor from Spanish company J.Juan. These work
wonderfully, with predictable feel and only some slight lever/pedal pulsing
when the now standard Bosch ABS kicks in. The new cast aluminum wheels shod
with Pirelli Sport Demon radials are similarly praiseworthy (the SR, it’s
worth noting, wears Pirelli Diablo Rosso IIs). But while the new fully
adjustable Showa suspension is said to be a big improvement, I found the
ride on bumpy roads left something to be desired on the stock settings. The
suspension on the longer-travel DS model worked noticeably better.

Range is still the Achilles’ heel of electric bikes, but it is improving. We
did 80 miles on our SR testbikes (fitted with Power Tanks) and still had
close to 10 percent power remaining. And that was mostly spirited riding in
Sport mode; toggle back to Eco (for Economy) mode and you could increase
that distance considerably. My only complaint was that as battery power
diminished, the thermal warning lamp illuminated and the bike went into limp
mode. Recharge time is also something to consider: Plug the SR into a
110-volt wall outlet and it will take a good 10 hours for its battery to
replenish—or less than half that with the $600 accessory Quick-Charger.
Battery technology remains a work in progress…

The one other issue is cost. The SR retails for a jaw-dropping $17,345 not
including the $2495 Power Tank. Even allowing for never having to buy gas or
pay for oil changes and tune-ups, that’s expensive, putting the SR in the
same price bracket as motorcycles with far more impressive performance. But
as Zero’s VP of Global Marketing Scot Harden said, “Imagine if vehicles had
been electric all along and someone introduced a gasoline engine today. Do
you think it would catch on?”

No, probably not. There’s a lot of Electric Kool-Aid being drunk at Zero
Motorcycles, but spend some time riding one of their bikes and you’ll see
why their supporters are so high on them. So pass me a glass—it may be an
acquired taste, but this stuff’s not half-bad!

SPECIFICATIONS
2015 Zero SR
PRICE (AS TESTED)       $19,840
MOTOR   brushless, high-temp magnet
MAX BATTERY CAPACITY    14.2 kWh
SEAT HEIGHT     31.8 in.
CHARGE TIME, STANDARD   10.5 hours
CLAIMED WEIGHT  452 lb.
[© cycleworld.com]

For EVLN posts use:
http://evdl.org/evln/
http://www.evdl.org/archive/index.html#nabble+template%2FNamlServlet.jtp%3Fmacro%3Dsearch_page%26node%3D413529%26query%3DEVLN%2Bbrucedp2%26days%3D0%26sort%3Ddate

https://transportevolved.com/2015/02/04/council-electric-car-friendly-new-interactive-report-names-shames-congratulates/
Do your politicians Electrify-Practice Watt they Plugin-Preach?

http://sputniknews.com/russia/20150207/1017945103.html
90 passenger e-Trolleybus.ru w/ stowable e-poles r:200km  ts:80kph

http://kuer.org/post/utah-business-leaders-announce-coalition-build-electric-vehicle-infrastructure
Utah Business Leaders' Coalition to Build EVSE Infrastructure

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.[you
kay]/news/11762001.Fishing_lakes_power_forward_electric_vehicle_tourism/
Fishing lakes power forward EV tourism> free L2 ZCW EVSE A19 Sessay,UK
http://www.thenorthernecho.co.[you kay]/resources/images/3511702.jpg
+
EVLN: Polaris' Victory Charger e-Motorcycle> HD-LiveWire competition

{brucedp.150m.com}