It sounds to me like an overspeed. One or more of the individual commutator
segments has broken free of the bonding. Although it may be possible to rewind
the motor, a replacement may be the less expensive/most reliable route.
If only the commutator is damaged (one or two bars lifted under the brushes)
you may be able to get by with turning the commutator and strengthening with
Kevlar tape. Best to check with a competent and local motor shop.

Tom Keenan