On Mar 9, 2015, at 3:53 PM, Robert Bruninga via EV <ev@lists.evdl.org> wrote:

> My answer:   I'm waiting for a 40 mile BEV.  The Prius 12mi is too short
> and both it and the VOLT haul along an entirely not needed ICE (adding
> $10k to the price) (I have 2 other salvage Prius for all the distance I
> need).  And my daily commute is 30 mi total.  40 miles for me.
>
> Unwilling to pay the extra $6k for the final 40 miles of the current crop
> of 80 mile BEV's that I'd never use.

I think two points are worth raising.

First, there are many people who are in your situation, including a great many
who are but don't think they are.

Second, there are also many people who would find your situation
incomprehensible, and can't possibly imagine of what use a vehicle with only 40
miles of range could even hypothetically be.

There is no one-size-fits-all answer. For those for whom your size fits, we
should make sure that they know just how good a fit it is. But we'd be crazy to
tell everybody else that your size fits them when it's not even remotely
applicable.

"Any color you like, so long as it's black" is not a way to gain market share.

Also, as a side note, for basically all Tesla owners, $6k isn't really a
noticeable fraction of a new vehicle purchase price; you can change the price
of the car by that much either direction and it's only marginally going to
impact sales. For people at the other end of the income scale, $6k might be
their total purchase price of an used vehicle, so it doesn't get any more
significant for that for them...but it's not even on the radar of somebody
buying a maxed-out P85D.

b&