Jorg Brown wrote:
Fundamentally the problem is economics: in a car you have a $100
tank that you're filling up with $50 of fuel.  But in an EV, you
have a $40,000 pack that you're filling up with $5 of fuel.

Ben Goren via EV wrote:
That's...that's an excellent observation that puts it in a
perspective I've never thought about before.

And you're right. Battery swaps likely won't make economic sense
until traction batteries cost as much as today's starter
batteries...

However, fork lift batteries cost many thousands of dollars. And they weigh many times more than an EV pack. And yet they *do* routinely swap them anyway.

They do it simply because it makes economic sense. The forklift itself is even more expensive. They would rather have a spare pack (with one on charge, and one in use) so that forklift can be busy full-time.

--
We cannot waste time. We can only waste ourselves.
        -- George Matthew Adams