On 19 Mar 2015 at 10:26, Ben Goren via EV wrote:

> I also got the distinct impression that he thinks that idling an electric
> vehicle eats into available range.

To be fair, it does - if, as is likely, the driver uses aircon in the summer
or heat in the winter.

I don't think that the postal vehicles in my area have aircon, but my mail
carrier keeps the window open (for deliveries) and blasts the heater all
winter long.  That would be rough on an EV's range.

A fuel-fired heater would be a practical answer for winter.  Aircon might be
a tougher problem.

Over the years, the USPS has carried out several EV trials with small fleets
in limited areas.  I don't think they considered any of them successful.
However, I'm pretty sure that all of them used lead batteries.  I wonder if
one of those programs might be where this guy got his odd "30 to 34
batteries" idea.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
EVDL Administrator