Sent: Thursday, March 26, 2015 7:15 AM
To: ev@lists.evdl.org
Subject: [EVDL] charging two parallel packs in series

Subject: [EVDL] Open Circuit Voltage Across Contactors

I've got two Anderson contacts on my pack, one on the negative side
and one on the positive side.  So when the key is out of the ignition,
the controller and all other components are separated from the
traction pack.  I currently have a 120V system, with two strings in
parallel, because I have a Curtis controller, which has a 144V max.  I
would, however, like to be able to charge faster with my PFC-30.  So
my question is, if I reconfigure the packs to be in series for
charging, is there any problem, since both contactors will be open?

Bill>

This could be done safely by leaving one pack ( pack A ) hooked up
normally then using two Anderson connectors with your charger  being
the only thing connected to pack B's battery plus ,chargers neg will
go to pack A's neg. Pack B will hook to pack A using a 175amp or
bigger Anderson disconnect with pack A's pluses going to pack B's plus
and A's neg to B's neg , this will be for driving and parallel
charging . Pull the disconnect and plug in a Anderson jumper plug
which will connect the A packs positive to the B packs negative and
now your are charging in series. If you forget to switch back , no big
deal you will just be running on pack A . A few ways to set up these
Anderson's , I think the 175 amp Anderson would be big enough . I
would have one on pack A and 2 and pack B ( one for series and one for
parallel ) The series plug will have its b+ plug going to the B packs
neg .

shameless plug ,, we sell them but there not on the web site

Steve Clunn
Merging the best of the past with
the best of the future.
www.Greenshedconversions.com