http://www.hybridcars.com/tesla-roadster-3-0-range-extending-package-to-be-released-in-august/
Tesla Roadster 3.0 Range Extending Package To Be Released In August
by Sarah Shelton May 7, 2015

[images  / Jonathan Alcorn/Bloomberg via Getty Images
http://www.hybridcars.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/Tesla-roadster.jpg

http://www.hybridcars.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/tesla-roadster-tweet.jpg
Via Twitter

http://www.hybridcars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/Musk_tweet_roadster-upgrade.jpg
Elon Musk first announced the Roadster 3.0 upgrade on December 26, 2014, via
Twitter
]

Last Christmas, Tesla gave Roadster owners an extra gift when CEO Elon Musk
announced that an upgraded package will soon be available.

Almost four months went by with no word, until one owner reached out to Musk
for more details. Using his standard platform for news updates – Twitter –
Musk said recently that the company now expects the Roadster 3.0 package to
be on the market by late summer.

Built exclusively for the Roadster, Tesla’s all-electric sports car produced
between 2008 and 2012, the carmaker estimates that the upgrade will boost
the Roadster’s range by as much as 50 percent.

“There is a set of speeds and driving conditions where we can confidently
drive the Roadster 3.0 over 400 miles,” Tesla said.

Even though production on the coupe ended two years ago, Tesla said it
wanted Roadster owners to be able to benefit from range improvements the
company had developed since then. The new package will include both software
and component improvements in three main areas: batteries, aerodynamics and
rolling resistance:

    Battery: The original Roadster battery was the very first lithium ion
battery put into production in any vehicle. It was state of the art in 2008,
but cell technology has improved substantially since then. We have
identified a new cell that has 31% more energy than the original Roadster
cell. Using this new cell we have created a battery pack that delivers
roughly 70kWh in the same package as the original battery

    Aerodynamics: The original Roadster had a drag coefficient (Cd) of 0.36.
Using modern computational methods we expect to make a 15% improvement,
dropping the total Cd down to 0.31 with a retrofit aero kit.

    Rolling Resistance: The original Roadster tires have a rolling
resistance coefficient (Crr) of 11.0 kg/ton. New tires that we will use on
the Roadster 3.0 have a Crr of roughly 8.9 kg/ton, about a 20% improvement.
We are also making improvements in the wheel bearings and residual brake
drag that further reduce overall rolling resistance of the car.

Though Roadster owners now have a better idea of when they can pick up the
upgraded package, the price is still unspecified. Experts are estimating
that after trading in the Roadster’s old 50 kilowatt-hours battery, the 3.0
package will likely cost between $10,000 and $15,000.

Even with the new battery, though, it doesn’t appear as though the Roadster
will be able to use Tesla’s Superchargers. This network of rapid charging
stations is currently only compatible with the Model S.
[© hybridcars.com]
http://electric-vehicle-discussion-list.413529.n4.nabble.com/template/NamlServlet.jtp?macro=search_page&node=413529&query=subject%3Aevln+subject%3Atesla+-re&days=0&sort=date
Read more Tesla EVLN items on evdl

For EVLN posts use:
http://evdl.org/evln/

http://247wallst.com/autos/2015/05/10/reserve-a-tesla-model-x-for-5000/
Reserve A Tesla-X For $5000

http://www.moneyweb.co.za/news/international/teslas-battery-grabbed-800m-in-its-first-week/
Tesla's giga-battery-factory grabbed $800m/1st-week> for EVs&Powerwall

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/blacked-out-tesla-model-s-says-a-lot-about-how-the-ev-market-is-changing-95281.html
Blacked Out Tesla-S Says a Lot about How the EV Market Is Changing

http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2015/05/05/130612-robots-to-drive-polaris-ranger-darpa-robotics-challenge.html
GEM nEVs @DARPA Robotics Challenge Finals 6/5-6 Fairplex, Pomona CA

http://indefinitelywild.gizmodo.com/what-s-wrong-with-electric-bicycles-1702986234
Karmic Bikes' Koben promises to fix what ails the ebicycle industry

http://www.sanluisobispo.com/2015/04/28/3608499/paso-robles-park-and-ride-lot.html
2 L2 EVSE @Paso Robles, CA  park-and-ride lot
+
EVLN: Tesla-3 EV to be unveiled in March 2016

{brucedp.150m.com}