On 14 May 2015 at 15:59, Russ Sciville via EV wrote:

> the power module is a complicated bugger ...

Your description sounds at least superficially similar to the way the Prius
works.

In the Prius, the motor, motor-generator, engine, and final drive all share
a planetary gear unit.  If I understand it right, the computer uses the
small motor-generator and the large motor with an electronic boost-buck
converter to convert high ICE RPM into low RPM final drive torque.
Essentially it's an electromechanical torque converter.

That said, Toyota holds a sheaf of patents on their design.  Unless GM
licensed it the way Ford did for their early Escape "hybrids," either all or
in part, GM's would have to be different enough not to infringe.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
EVDL Administrator