I had Sams Club batteries in my S10 EV (20 of them) for my first pack.
 They were Energizer EGC2 batteries. (The cost was around $1700 5-6
years ago.)

They lasted 2 years with good service, and I eked out another 3/4 of a
year with reduced range/capacity before replacing them. (686 charge
cycles total.)

You can read more about it here:
http://www.summet.com/blog/2013/11/24/electric-pickup-truck-cost-of-ownership/

And here:
http://www.summet.com/blog/2013/07/26/electric-truck-battery-pack-status-report/

I don't think that I badly mistreated them, but I didn't baby them either.

I have replaced them with Interstate GC batteries for my 2nd pack
(cost of ~ $2200, and so far I haven't seen anything that makes me
think the Interstate batteries are going to last a lot longer than the
Sams club batteries did. [I have already had to replace one that was
way under-performing the rest of the pack, but luckily I had a spare
of about the same age as the pack ready to go as part of my home UPS...]

So is the extra $500 for a "name brand" source worth it?

Perhaps....I'll know for sure in a year.  For me, it was worth it,
because the Interstate dealer is about 2 miles from my house, while
the nearest Sams club that sells GC batteries is outside of the range
of my electric pickup.

When you only need six of them, I'd say drive to Sams club and get
them, at least for your first pack. Just make sure that all six
batteries are "matched" (have the same date code stamped into the
plastic, and measure very close to the same voltage.)

Jay