I've forgotten so much from my original EV research and other related
activities, that I had not considered the simplicity of a stand-alone meter in
the circuit. The link provided presented a programmable meter for a pretty
reasonable price. Correct me if I'm wrong in this supposition: programmable so
it will interrupt the circuit when certain parameters are met? I downloaded and
attempted to read the manual for the meter and was overwhelmed with the
complexity of the device.
I have a much simpler device in my velomobile that monitors my 12v battery
"consumption" for the lights and accessories. It begins to register all the
important parameters when connected and forgets them when disconnected. I've
found a number of devices of similar construction with higher capacities than I
need, so I won't burn it out, but it's not programmable. It also has a built-in
shunt, so the external device would not be needed. (thanks M.R.)

Part of my original unclear message was aimed at how would I be able to charge
these cells, but I can see now that a meter external to the r/c charger will
provide the data while the r/c charger will give me the current and monitoring
that I need. It's not like the charger bases the duration on amp-hours "pumped"
back into the battery, so sequencing it two or three times won't cause an
overcharge if left unattended at just the wrong moment, while the external
meter can give me the total at the end.
I'm not one to shy away from high tech stuff like the programmable meter, but
it seems unwarranted in this case, as I already have sufficient complexity in
the r/c charger. Whatcha think?

Original Message: 7