The Engineering Notebooks by Forrest Mims (sold by Radioshack originally)
are a great resource for simple circuits like this.  You can take your
choice of method.  A comparator circuit occurs to me first. It will change
its output based on the difference between two voltage signals.  When the
target voltage and actual voltage are the same the difference is zero so
you get no charging current.  Of course this has to be interfaced with the
power side.

You can use digital means as well as transistor logic (TTL).  You can latch
them, or make set/reset circuits, all with very mall low power circuits.

On Tue, Jun 23, 2015 at 10:45 PM, EVDL Administrator via EV <
ev@lists.evdl.org> wrote:

> On 23 Jun 2015 at 10:48, damon henry via EV wrote:
>
> > Has anyone ever made a circuit to shut off a switch once a predetermined
> > voltage limit has been hit while charging.
>
> I "designed" (as much as any non-EE can "design" a circuit) and built a
> charger like that for my 24v Electro-Ped back in the 1990s, but I can't
> find
> my schematic now.  :-(  I'll keep looking.
>
> IIRC, I used a basic "cycle dropping" design but added a latching relay.
>
> A cycle dropping charger (without my latch) is about as simple as automatic
> chargers get.  When the battery's on-charge voltage reaches the target
> value, it turns on an SCR through a zener diode.  That SCR pulls a power
> SCR's gate low, stopping the charge.
>
>  the output of the charger's transformer/rectifier is pulsating DC, so the
> power SCR goes to zero 120 times per second.  So normally, when the
> battery's surface voltage falls enough, the charger can turn on again.
>
> This charger-on-charger-off cycle repeats, with the duty cycle gradually
> shortening and the average charge current falling. The battery is fully
> charged when the average current falls to ~C20/50.  The charger should shut
> off for good at that point, but most of these simple chargers don't. :-(
>
> (BTW, I'm pretty sure this is exactly how the original Rudman Regulators
> worked, except that they closed a shunt round the battery, rather than
> opening the charging circuit to it.)
>
> If you filtered the charger's DC, you probably wouldn't need the extra
> latching components -- but that would probably be more expensive.
>
> Lee Hart may have some further thoughts on this.  He's good at finding
> simple, inexpensive, and elegant ways to charge batteries.  ;-)
>
> Here's one cycle dropping charge circuit, as used in late Citicars and
> Comuta-cars.
>
> http://www.evdl.org/docs/c_car_charger.jpg
>
> I've seen similar circuits, mostly for 12v batteries, round the web at
> various "maker" sites.
>
> I hope this helps.
>
> David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
> EVDL Administrator