Hi Cor,
I have been around and using E-meters for many years now and this is the first
time I have ever heard of using a zener diode as a method to create an isolated
power supply for one.  Is it really that simple?  If so I might switch to this
on my motorcycle (48v).  I currently have a small 12 volt battery that I use
just for running my meter, which is a pretty simple setup, but does require me
to charge the battery once a week, and/or disconnect the battery if I leave the
motorcycle unused for a long stretch.
If I understand this method I would simply connect the emeter power through a
zener diode off my traction pack and that would provide both the required
isolation and enough of a voltage drop to keep from burning the meter out.
That sounds easy :) Do you just wire the zener into one of the power leads from
the traction pack to the emeter?  Does it matter whether it is on the positive
or negative lead?  Are there other components that could/should be added like a
fuse or current limiting resistor?
thanksDamon