http://www.ellsworthamerican.com/featured/schoodic-scooter-craze-raises-issues
Schoodic scooter craze raises issues
July 23, 2015   by Jacqueline Weaver

[image  / Jacqueline Weaver
http://www.ellsworthamerican.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/2015/07/scooters-jw00031.jpg
Kathryn Balteff assembled and sold 44 electric scooters for a family friend,
Keith Young. She also picked one up for herself. Now owners are being told
they need a permit or license to operate them and must insure and register
them as mopeds.
]

WINTER HARBOR — Back in May, retired boat captain Keith Young had a chance
to buy 44 electric scooters from a landlord in Biddeford who ended up with
them in lieu of rent.

Thinking the whisper quiet, no emission scooters would be the perfect thing
for the ecologically minded Schoodic Peninsula, Young got a good price and
had the scooters shipped to his Quonset hut just outside the entrance to
Acadia National Park.

“They’re neat: no emissions, no sounds,” Young said. “I thought everyone
would like the idea. They’re environmentally friendly and I thought they
would do well in the campground.”

The new Schoodic Woods Campground is scheduled to open Sept. 4 and will be
operated by the National Park Service.

A friend of Young’s, Kathryn Balteff, offered to assemble the scooters —
which were made in China — and sell them for $250 apiece.

Balteff added the accessories, such as baskets, cargo bins, pedals and
fenders.

Within six days all the scooters were sold.

“A few older kids got them, but it was mostly folks who were just getting
them for themselves,” Balteff said. “Keith just wanted something fun for the
community. It was great fun. It’s nice to see people smile.”

Soon the brightly colored scooters were seen zipping up and down the roads
of the Schoodic Peninsula.

One person who spotted them along with everyone else was Police Chief Mike
Walsh, who saw a few children riding them.

“Now they’re everywhere,” said Walsh of the machines that are so quiet you
can’t hear someone coming up behind you.

Four or five new scooter owners asked Walsh if they needed to register their
new vehicles.

He contacted the Department of Motor Vehicles to find out how the scooters
should be classified.

“The following is what’s required,” Walsh posted on the Winter Harbor Police
Department’s Facebook page July 15 [
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Winter-Harbor-Police-Department/125090847516147?fref=ts
]. “They MUST be registered as mopeds and the operator must have a license
or permit.”

The DMV told Walsh the vehicles must be registered as mopeds because the
wheels are 12 inches.

If the wheels were less than 10 inches in diameter they would be considered
scooters, which do not have to be registered or inspected.

The registration fee, according to the state’s DMV website, is $9, and the
owner must show proof of insurance.

In addition, DMV rules stipulate that a moped driver has to be 16 with a
driver’s license or a learner permit.

Or, a 16-year-old can choose to get just a moped license, which requires
passing a written exam.

Walsh’s posting was followed by a volley of Facebook reactions.

Some thanked Walsh. Others wondered why he didn’t have other things to keep
him busy.

Walsh, who monitors social media, quickly joined one Facebook thread saying
he had no intention of doing anything drastic, such as issuing tickets.

“We’re not that heartless. We will inform the people and give them a chance
to register them,” he said. “If they continually ignore it, then we have to
do something.”

Walsh added later that he is not faulting Young, but he thought the issue
needed a bit more research.

“I’m concerned about people’s safety and about the liability for the town if
it is known we were aware of it and didn’t do anything about it,” he said.

The other issue is finding insurance. Some say the mopeds are covered under
their house insurance. Others say it’s a Catch 22.

Paul Tracy, owner of the Winter Harbor Agency, said he was approached by
some new moped owners seeking insurance, but he can’t find any coverage.

“We have three carriers that we deal with that write insurance for mopeds,”
he said. “They said those aren’t mopeds. They have a serial number, but they
don’t have a VIN (vehicle identification number). They consider them
electric bikes.”

“I don’t know where to go with this other than to get a ruling from the
state,” Tracy said. “I don’t know how to fix this.”

It could be that new owners who don’t want to jump through all those hoops
might decide just to buzz around on the scooters on their personal property.

In any case, Walsh feels like he is being treated like the Grinch Who Stole
Christmas. Even his new bride was sticking up for him on Facebook.

Young is not happy either. What started out as a nice thing for the town has
become something more problematic and he’s not sure what to make of it all.

In any event, he has no intentions of opening an electric scooter business
any time soon. “This was a one-shot deal,” he said.
[© 2015 by The Ellsworth American]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pig_in_a_poke
A pig in a poke

For EVLN posts use: