http://www.cheatsheet.com/automobiles/why-an-electric-car-may-be-the-best-choice-for-teen-drivers.html/?a=viewall
Why an Electric Car May Be the Best Choice for Teen Drivers
Collin Woodard  July 29, 2015

[images
http://www.cheatsheet.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/ElectricCar1.jpg
 /  Mitsubishi

http://www.cheatsheet.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/e-golf-2015.jpg?eb02af
e-golf 2015  / Volkswagen
]

After my first car was totaled by a distracted driver on my way home from
the SAT, my aunt was nice enough to give me her 1995 Mazda Protege as a
replacement. It didn't have modern safety features like stability control,
but to most people, it looked like a great car for a teen. It was small,
worth next to no money, reliable, inexpensive to insure, and so horrendously
slow that it would take just over 20 seconds to reach 60 miles per hour if
there were four people in the car.

I also once found an empty, open stretch of road where I was able to get it
up to 95 miles per hour, and if I hadn't slowed down when I did, the
speeding ticket I received wouldn't have probably come with some serious
consequences. Even so, I ended up having to pay a hefty fine for doing 74.

By their very nature, teenagers are terrible at making driving decisions.
Recently, I realized that maybe giving teens used cars is the wrong approach
' maybe the best car to give a teen is actually a brand new electric car.

The best thing about a new electric car is, of course, that it's new.
There's certainly the risk that your teen will crash it, but since they're
new, electric cars come with modern technology and safety features that you
can't always get in budget used cars. The Nissan Leaf, for example, comes
standard with stability control, traction control, and modern airbags. Even
the cheaper Chevrolet Spark EV offers stability control, traction control,
and 10 airbags as standard.

This shouldn't be surprising since new cars are built to meet modern safety
standards. The Nissan Leaf gets four stars from the Insurance Institute for
Highway Safety, as does the Chevrolet Spark. In the event that your beloved
idiot teen driver has a serious wreck, you want to make sure the car they
were driving keeps them safe.

In the hands of a teen driver the disadvantages of an electric car also
become advantages. Not only are they slow, they're also limited to how fast
they can actually drive. The Tesla Model S is an obvious exception that you
shouldn't give to a teenager anyways, but in general, electric cars can't go
much faster than 90 miles per hour. They're also far less efficient at
highway speeds, meaning that even if your teen has the patience to get a
Nissan Leaf up to 90 miles per hour, they're also going to have to watch
their remaining range plummet.

Since higher speeds are less efficient, there's an added incentive for your
teen not to speed excessively. In an electric car with a 300 mile range,
that might not be the case, but with somewhere around 80 miles of range to
play with, your teen will quickly realize how important it is not to
needlessly waste electricity. No one wants to make an embarrassing call home
to mom and dad to tell them the car is dead.

The limited range of most electric cars comes with two other advantages as
well. First, your teen won't be able to travel more than 30 or 40 miles from
home, giving you the peace of mind that he or she will never be too far
away. Second, your teen will also have to spend time thinking about the
future, planning their moves based on the car's available range. Developing
those skills will come in handy since teens generally have little regard for
taking time to make plans.

Assuming you lease the car, electric cars are also easily affordable for
someone working a part-time job. Since there's no gas to buy, they only real
cost is the lease itself. Again, assuming you don't go with a Tesla Model S,
your teen could easily make the payments and still have money left over to
waste on whatever it is that teenagers spend their money on.

Electric cars are also less expensive to insure [
http://www.cheatsheet.com/automobiles/electric-vehicles-now-cheaper-to-insure-and-own-than-gas-cars.html/?a=viewall
], making it even more affordable to lease one than you might have thought.

The only disadvantage is that the lease will run out about the time your
teen heads to college. Then again, a lot of colleges don't allow freshmen to
keep cars on campus, and even those that do are usually set up to make
having a car unnecessary. If a specific need arises for your teen to still
have a car, you can always consider buying the car at the end of the lease.

If you like the idea of car ownership and aren't a big fan of leasing, even
an electric car, used Nissan Leafs are already going for less than $10,000.
Purchasing one or helping your teen purchase one wouldn't be expensive at
all, and you would still see most of the benefits I've already mentioned.

I could definitely see an electric car being a bad choice in a rural area
where traveling more than 80 miles per day is common and where a charging
network is almost nonexistent, but even in a lot of suburban areas, it
definitely has a potential. Run your own numbers, weigh the pluses against
the minuses, and make sure you're making the right decision, but in the end,
you may find that driving an electric car really is the best option for your
teen.
[© cheatsheet.com]

[dated]
http://electric-vehicle-discussion-list.413529.n4.nabble.com/EVLN-Teen-Twizy-45-nEV-for-14-Year-Olds-fr-r-120km-ts-45kph-tp4674613.html
EVLN: "Teen-Twizy" 45 nEV for 14-Year-Olds.fr r:120km ts:45kph
% 45kph is 28mph, France's Teen restrictions are equal to the U.S. (adult)
nEV restrictions. The 'Teen Twizy' model 45 could be sold in the U.S. as a
nEV. But what is needed in the U.S. are no-hazzle laws allowing an e-LSV
(the standard 50mph Twizy EV model) be sold and driven on U.S. roads...
Mar 29 2015
http://electric-vehicle-discussion-list.413529.n4.nabble.com/EVLN-Teen-Crashed-BMW-M5-ice-60mph-into-Tesla-S-bragging-rights-video-tp4668408.html
EVLN: Teen-Crashed BMW M5 ice @60mph into Tesla-S, bragging-rights?
Mar 30, 2014
http://electric-vehicle-discussion-list.413529.n4.nabble.com/EVLN-Smart-Teen-bagged-a-Spark-EV-from-Dad-son-deal-doesn-t-buy-gas-tp4668026.html
EVLN: Smart Teen bagged a Spark EV from Dad-son deal & doesn't buy gas
Feb 19, 2014
http://electric-vehicle-discussion-list.413529.n4.nabble.com/EVLN-NZ-Green-Teen-bags-an-EV-and-has-EV-career-plans-tp4117949.html
EVLN: NZ Green-Teen bags an EV and has EV career plans
Nov 28, 2011

For EVLN posts use:
http://evdl.org/evln/

{brucedp.150m.com}