http://alpenhornnews.com/reduce-your-carbon-footprint-with-an-electric-car-p6254-149.htm
Reduce your carbon footprint with an electric car
Aug 06, 2015  By Rhea-Frances Tetley

[image
http://alpenhornnews.com/clients/alpenhornnews/8-7-2015-3-07-45-PM-6904656.gif
(Peter and Loueege)
]

It’s always wonderful when personal recommendations for sustainable ways of
living save you money as in a car purchase. Here on the mountain, we have
different requirements with our hilly, curvy roads and snow than city
drivers.

Meet “Loueege” (as identified on its personalized plates), a Fiat 500E
driven by the Venturini family, named after “Luigi,” the Fiat in the Cars
movie.

Peter Venturini proudly told The Alpenhorn News all the advantages of
driving his newest set of wheels and he should know having retired from the
Air Resources Board. He loves his little runabout. “It’s perfect for the
mountains and quick and fun to drive,” he said noting that his children also
drive electric vehicles. Loueege has a low center of gravity and accelerates
quickly with more than enough power to handle any slope with its 111
horsepower, 100 percent electric powertrain. The electric-drive motor has a
lithium-ion 24-kWh battery pack and a power inverter to manage the power
flow and single-speed transmission with calibrated gear reduction. The
battery has an eight-year warranty and the engine components have four-year
warranties.

Peter and Loueege are a Meals-on-Wheels driving team, which minimizes
delivery expenses. “I use the ‘slow-charge’ 110-volt system, so I didn’t add
220 volts to my garage. At 110 volts, it takes 24 hours for a complete
charge. However, I have never needed a complete charge; I always plug it in
at night, so it’s fully charged at the start of each day.” The onboard
computer dash display describes percentage of charge left on the mountain,
generally 70 percent. “I am getting well over 100 equivalent miles per
gallon.” The manufacturer claims 122-MPG equivalent in the city and 108-MPG
equivalent on the highway. He knows he is saving money by not using his
other cars.

Fiat claims the range is 80 miles, however Venturini doesn’t hesitate to go
to Big Bear or Redlands and back on a single charge. The regenerative
braking makes the actual range longer since Loueege is recharging whenever
using the brakes or not accelerating. There are 13 re-charging stations in
the San Bernardino - Redlands area.

“We find Loueege perfect for mountain use. I am constantly getting thumbs up
and cute car comments. It gets people's attention. Front seats are very
comfortable. The rear seats are small fold-downs, so I typically use the
abundant space for things like groceries.

“The fact that it is front wheel drive gives it good traction. However, one
would need chains and snow tires in the winter.”
[© alpenhornnews.com]
http://pixar.wikia.com/wiki/Luigi
Luigi, the Fiat 500-ice in the Cars movie
http://cars.disney.com/luigi
http://www.fiat500owners.com/forum/66-fiat-500e/
Fiat 500e EV Forums
http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/forumdisplay.php?94-Fiat-500E-Charging
http://www.evsolutions.com/turbocord
FIAT 500e c:6.3h@L2-3kW,23h@L1
http://www.fiatusa.com/en/500e/
2015 FIAT 500e
http://www.carsdirect.com/fiat/500e
500e offered new in California or Oregon only
From $29,256  Up to $2,500 in rebates
http://www.autoblog.com/used-list/make1-Fiat/model1-500e/location-93650/fuel-Electric/range-12500
(examples: new 2015 500E $16,999 | used 2014 500E $15,518)
http://fiat.niello.com/lease-specials.php?EnforceDesktop=true
$99/mo 36mo-lease, 500e EV (Sacramento-CA)

For EVLN posts use:
http://evdl.org/evln/

http://insideevs.com/delaware-now-offers-2200-plug-electric-car-rebate-500-evse-incentive/
Delaware Now Offers $2,200 EV Rebate + $500 EVSE Incentive

http://dcourier.com/main.asp?SectionID=1&SubSectionID=1086&ArticleID=148441
$1.50hr Dual L2 CT4000 EVSE @Marriott SpringHill Suites Prescott-AZ
+
EVLN: LG&3M NCM_li-ion patent deal, Audi's 311mi LG&Samsung pack

{brucedp.150m.com}