On Aug 23, 2015, at 11:08 AM, Peri Hartman via EV <ev@lists.evdl.org> wrote:

> If it merely 100% replaces a pedal-only bike, then clearly it is dirtier.

I can't help but think this is the perfect being the enemy of the good.

Even the worst full-sized gasoline-powered motorcycle is going to get better
fuel economy than the best econobox, and the average motorcycle pollutes so
much less than the average passenger vehicle it's not even funny. If
motorcycles were the norm, we wouldn't be in the pickle we're in today.

Similarly, full-sized electric motorcycles put both gasoline-powered
motorcycles and full-sized electric vehicles to shame -- and two-stroke
gas-powered assisted bicycles are even more energy-efficient than full-sized
electric motorcycles.

And a bicycle with an electric assist? Your stereotypical teenaged girl is
going to use more electricity drying her hair in the morning than an
electric-assist bicycle is going to use.

So, is an electric-assist bicycle somehow dirtier than a bicycle without
electric assist? Does that even deserve to be dignified with a response?

Anything that's not a full-sized gas-powered single-occupant daily commuter car
is a win for the planet. Full-sized electric vehicles are a fantastic
replacement...but all the other options should be encouraged as well.

And you will not find <i>any</i> powered vehicle friendlier to the environment
than an electric-human hybrid.

b&