Mark Grasser wrote:

> I seem to remember one of the hottest points being the brushes themselves.
> I am going to drill and tap about ΒΌ" deep for 4-40 screw on the wire end
> of the brush.  Concerns would be these: are the brushes a god point to
> read temperature? Am I in danger of splitting the brush during this
> process?
> Will the screw threads hold up? Would I be smarter attempting to epoxy
> the thermistor to the brush instead? Oh, What temperatures should I
> expect?

Convention appears to be to epoxy a thermocouple into the brush for monitoring
brush temperatures.  The positive brushes tend to run hotter, so if you only
monitor one, make it a positive one.

Jim Husted noted that there are downsides to attaching a temperature sensor to
the brush, including the possibility of the sensor wiring becoming connected to
the traction power, the sensor wiring interfering with free movement of the
brush (e.g. most thermocouple wire is relatively stiff solid core), and that
you have to redo the sensor when you replace the brushes.  He suggested the
mounting the sensor to the brush holder might be a reasonable compromise.

Below are a couple of relevant posts from those more knowledgeable than I on
this subject.

Cheers,

Roger.