I'm pretty sure a base model does not come with all wheel drive.

On 9/12/2015 4:11 AM, brucedp5 via EV wrote:

http://www.postindependent.com/opinion/18014132-113/letter-an-electric-dream
Letter: An electric dream
September 3, 2015 |

My wife and I once thought that owning a Tesla was only a dream and that we
could never afford it. It was only after our lease ended on our all-electric
Nissan Leaf that we realized how much money we saved over those years. Zero
emissions, zero gas, practically zero maintenance (tires and windshield
wipers), and tax rebates saved us thousands over a traditional car. And we
loved driving it.

We are a middle-class, regular family and we just bought a base model Tesla
Model S. It truly is a dream car and way more affordable than we had once
thought. We’re getting $14,000 back in taxes, never have to pay for gas,
take free family road trips and have the all-wheel drive needed for the
mountains.

If you want more info on the reality of how much an electric vehicle really
costs, I’d be happy to respond to e-mails at craigfarnum hotmail.com. (And
no, I don’t work for a car company.)
  Craig Farnum
  Carbondale [IL]
[© postindependent.com]