Off-topic because EVs aren't what they're switching to.

http://phys.org/news/2015-10-toyota-aims-gasoline-cars.html

Between VW and now Toyota, the big automakers are signaling that we're now
officially at the end of the ICE era and that the transition to a post-ICE
world has begun.

Toyota's fool cells, of course, haven't a prayer. Who's going to want a car
that you have to go somewhere (that doesn't actually exist today) to pay to
fill up when all the other cars already charge at home for free?

But riffing off the speculation in the other thread about retrofitting VW
diesels with electric drivetrains...would I be correct in thinking that such a
retrofit would be a lot easier with a fool cell? You've already got the
electric motor for propulsion; rip out the H2 tank and the fool cell itself and
fill that space with batteries and you've got a real EV.

b&