You can install a 15 or 20 amp 125 volt rated receptacle on a 20 amp circuit
breaker.  The continuous rated ampere load is 12 amps on the 15 amp receptacle
and 16 amps on the 20 amp receptacle which is 80% of the device and/or circuit
breaker.

For both 15 and 20 amp receptacles, the minimum size wire is No. 12 AWG rated
at 60 C.  for a length of circuit of 42 feet.  A higher temperature rated wire
in the 90 C to 115 C range, we run up to 50 feet. The volt drop shall not go
below 1% for lighting and up to 3% for power circuits.

If the circuit distance to 20 amp receptacle is over 50 feet up to 70 feet
total, we will a 30 amp rated wire, a No. 10 AWG 90 C. rated copper wire for
the first 50 feet and 20 amp rated wire, a No. 12 AWG 90 C. rated copper for
the next 20 feet or you could run the 30 amp rated wire for the entire length
of 70 feet for a maximum of 16 amp load on a 20 amp circuit breaker.

You have to calculated the maximum voltage drop of a wire which is between 1 to
3 percent of the incoming unloaded voltage at the circuit breaker to the actual
voltage at the load end.

A electrical worker say he has install a 30 amp circuit, may only mean that the
wire size is rated for 24 amps at 50 foot circuit run or 16 amps at a 70 foot
run for a 1 percent voltage drop.

Roland