Depressing to consider that, even in Germany with all its solar and wind power
and now the VW diesel mess...even *that* isn't enough to launch EVs into the
mainstream.

http://phys.org/news/2015-10-vw-dieselgate-spotlight-electric-cars.html

"The government's goal 'is quite simply not achievable,' said Stefan Bratzel,
director of the Center of Automotive Research in Bergisch Gladbach.

"There was 'a lot of euphoria, but no vision for a feasible economic model' for
the electric car in Germany, he complained."

Sorry, but that's just bullshit. The Nissan Leaf makes plain that low-cost
high-quality EVs are possible. Teslas prove that EVs are the future for
no-holds-barred luxury sedans. And PIHs like the Volt and Germany's own BMW i3
demonstrate that an "80/20" solution is practical for all the edge cases people
like to latch onto.

It's not rocket surgery.

Slap a 50% tax surcharge on all passenger diesel fuel in light of the scandal
and distribute the money equally to every registered owner of an EV in monthly
payments. Problem solved.

...of course, that would harm the quarterly profit projections of the people
who buy the politicians, so it ain't gonna happen...but we need to stop
pretending that the problems are technological and realize that they are 100%
political at this point.

The technology is solved. Yes, it's going to get better, and significantly so
-- but we're already at "good enough," by any reasonable measure.

b&