http://savannahnow.com/share/blog-post/mary-landers/2015-11-12/electric-car-pollution-calculator
Electric car pollution calculator
2015-11-12  Mary Landers

I've been driving an all-electric Nissan Leaf for more than a year. It's
been great -- super quiet and very cheap to run. With no oil to change, no
gas, no spark plugs, etc., I've only had to rotate tires ($20 a pop) and add
electricity. It costs about a penny a mile for the juice. I get 4.5 miles
per KWH according to the dashboard readout and I plug it in overnight using
Georgia Power's time of use rate. While the overnight cost per kwh is about
a penny, once you add the other Ga. Power costs I've been advised it's
actually closer to 5 cents per KWH. I'm rounding to a penny a mile.

I also had to pay the newly instituted Georgia electric vehicle fuel tax in
September, a flat $200. That works out to a 50% addition to the price of
fueling the vehicle, so I'm up to about 1.5 cents per mile.

Still pretty cheap. But I've wondered how the Leaf's performance compares to
gas-powered cars on pollution, especially given Georgia Power's diminishing
but still substantial reliance on coal.

The Union of Concerned Scientists sent an answer today in the form of a
report and a zip-code-specific calculator that tells an electric car's
equivalent mpg. Turns out my Leaf creates about as much carbon pollution as
a gas car that gets 56 mpg.

Here's that calculator:
http://www.ucsusa.org/clean-vehicles/electric-vehicles/ev-emissions-tool#.VkSjaLerSUk
 and here's the  new report, "Cleaner Cars from Cradle to Grave."

There's also a 2-minute video summarizing the report:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9m9WDxmSN8
[© savannahnow.com]

For EVLN EV-newswire posts use:
http://evdl.org/evln/