I have a bit over 20 patents, and my experience is pretty much in agreement
with Lee's assessment.  The USPTO only does a cursory search of prior art.
As a result, a patent is just a ticket to permit litigation.  Whether or not
it is valid is not determined until the litigation is over.  Also, according
to US patent law, a disclosure must be enabling, meaning it provides enough
detail that one "skilled in the art" could reproduce the work.  Many do not
meet this requirement nor the requirement that it should not be obvious to
one skilled in the art.  In reality, it only is required to be non-obvious
to attorneys and judges.